Duchess jack point

Home Forums Classifieds VW Parts Wanted Duchess jack point

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Greg Johannsen
    Participant

@gregj

Having never really worked with VWs before, does anyone have a suggestion for the best place to use as a jack point on the rear of the Duchess?

Thanks

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

I usually place the jack under the engine and lift the entire rear at once. If im working under the car I make sure to block the front tires and use jack stands just behind the rear brakes for safety. Just make sure to avoid hoses and wires.
    Safety Fast, my friend.

crash55
    Participant

@crash55

remember to put a piece of wood between the jack & the engine. also if you look at the rear of the door there should be a place to put a stock vw jack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I lift from the torsion tubes, front and rear. Just be careful to avoid the grease fittings.

I disagree with Crash55 on this one and recommend you do not use the stock VW jack points. 

You can’t use an original VW jack because the mounting brackets got cut off when your car was built.

In addition, the stock lift points are okay with the steel VW body in place. But you lose a lot of pan strength with the fiberglass Duchess body in place. You’ll see a lot of flex lifting there; possibly too much!

PMOSSBERG2016-03-31 17:29:54

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I’ll second Paul. I use the beam in front and the crossmember in back–BCW has a 1.5-inch square tube clamped across the frame horns, just ahead of the engine. That’s easier to reach with my jack.

I have used the jack points to lift one whole side of the car. It definitely flexes. One reason I’m interested in those bolt-through pan-stiffeners someone here got. 
    Hoping for an update on that install…
    crash55
    Participant

@crash55

yea my bad you guys got a point

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Torsion tubes rear and beam in the front. Easy peasy! Oh yeah…..Go Orange! Clap

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.