Fiberfab MGTD – Spare tire

Home Forums General Discussion Fiberfab MGTD – Spare tire

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    samyer
    Participant

@samyer

This may be a stupid question but does the spare tire fit under the shell on the engine hood in the rear?  I’ve seen pictures with the spare tire in the front section.  Are some just mounting a real spare on the engine hood with no cover on it?

samyer
    Participant

@samyer

I just found the answer to my question.  Read the posts here and called MG Magic.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Great info on this site Sam.

This is what I did. I fabricated a 1/2″ thick, round, aluminum backing plate to attach the spare to the engine cover on my VW based TD. I used the stock VW 4 lug wheel to mark the holes. I drilled and tapped 2 of them and drilled the other 2 clean  through. I used these last two holes to attach the backing plate to the engine cover and the two tapped (threaded) holes to attach the wheel using the OEM style VW lug bolts.The backing plate and spare tire sandwiched the fiberglass engine cover.

Another quick way to make one of these “backing plates” is to machine a VW brake drum until just the flat center that has the 4 lug bolt holes is left. I wanted the lighter weight. This is assuming you have an IRS donor and it has 4 lugs, not a “wide 5” swing axle style.

Be sure to use large diameter fender washers on anything you attach to the fiberglass.

samyer
    Participant

@samyer

Thanks Pink!  I’m going to fabricate something and put a real spare on the rear.  MG Magic has a bracket kit & cover but I’ve haven’t gotten his mail brochure yet to see how much it is. 

We got our Fiberfab MiGi yesterday afternoon and must have driven it for four hours.  I hated to go home. I have never been so enthralled by a vehicle before, even though I am a motorhead.  I’m also excited that I’ve found this site!  Great bunch of guys!

I stopped at Autozone last night and my wife & I went in to get a car cover.  When we went to the counter all the guys were standing there asking me about the car.  Before I knew it they were all out in the parking lot looking it with customers in the store.  I took my nephew a ride and he said it was wired how everyone kept staring at us….

I’m 53 but I feel like a kid…

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Wow…that’s great Sam…I’m sure there are many more miles of fun ahead. Now I need to get mine back on the road!

Post some pictures!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.