Format of CMC VIN plate needed

Home Forums General Discussion Format of CMC VIN plate needed

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Joseph E. Monesmith
    Participant

@joemoe65

In the continuing saga of registration of my 1987 Classic Motor Carriages MGTD in the State of New Jersey I’m being told that I must have a duplicate VIN tag (of the original design) from CMC.

Does anyone with a CMC kit have an original VIN tag from this kit car manufacturer?  If so could you provide a picture of it so I have one duplicated?  Up until today they were looking for a Chevette VIN tag that was impossible to obtain.  I bought my kit from Liquidice on this web site in February 2010 and became the fourth owner of the unassembled kit.  I provided the original CMC Certificate of Origin to the NJ Titling Dept. that shows the VIN M1539 for the duplicate plate ingraving.

If anyone know about the existence of a CMC VIN plate where were they placed? Thanks for anyone’s help.
    Joseph E. Monesmith
    Participant

@joemoe65

Please Help:

Has anyone on our site ever seen a kit car manufacturer VIN plate on any of your MGTD replicas?  I seem to recall we have about 160 vehicles represented throughout the country.
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I have a Classic Roadsters Ltd. serial number plate on my TDr. Not sure if other manufacturers provided anythign similar.

But NJ DMV (now known as MVC) did not use that number. When I built her back in 1982, NJ DMV used the VW Beetle donor car VIN. I cut the VIN plate off the dash of the Beetle and riveted it to the TDr body.

I know. That didn’t help. For which I am sorry.

Are you dealing with Trenton? Or a local agency office/staff?

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Joseph E. Monesmith
    Participant

@joemoe65

Thanks Paul,

Since I had no access to the original Chevette VIN, NJ said they would have to “re-VIN” the vehicle.  When I contacted them how the process was going I was told that since the kit manufacturer had a VIN number on the Certificate of Origin document, we would now need to locate this kit mfg. VIN tag  on the car.  Since there isn’t any VIN tag on my chassis we need to have a duplicate kit VIN made, in the “style of the original one from Classic Motor Carriages”. 

The supervisor at the NJ inspection facility said it MUST be the correct representation because he was going to research it himself to make sure that I COMPLIED WITH the right format to use.  Isn’t that nice?
    Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Here’s one I found ‘net searching, it’s a Gazelle. Maybe the same style, replacing the name with MG TD?

The one I have is just from Fiberfab and not mounted yet, plan to put below the windshield under the hood and above Beetle gas tank.

LRH2015-07-06 14:50:44

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Have you been dealing with? A local agency or Trenton?

NJ regulations require kit car titling be handled in Trenton.

I’ve posted this link numerous times, SEMA’s Tag & Title Toolbox.

Click on the NJ link, and on page 2 of the PDF you will find this:

Titles available from Central Office

Titles for the special vehicles listed below are only issued by mail from the MVC Central Office in Trenton:

·        Reconstructed vehicles-dune buggies, kit cars, etc.

·        Glider kits

·        Vehicles with missing VINs

·        Vehicles registered to the military

For further information on titles available from the MVC Central Office in Trenton, call (888) 486-3339 ext. 5064 toll-free in New Jersey or (609) 292-6500 ext. 5064 from out-of-state.

PMOSSBERG2015-07-06 15:15:40

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Joseph E. Monesmith
    Participant

@joemoe65

Thanks, LRH this may be the solution to my issue.  Could you tell me the overall size of the plate?

Thanks, Paul yes I definitely processed through the Foreign Titles division of Trenton motor vehicles.  They scheduled my inspection at one of their three authorized inspection facilities. (Westfield, NJ) on June, 11 2015. 
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Just making sure Joe!

You know, at the end of the day, the local inspection facility staff will have no idea what a CMC VIN plate is “supposed to look like.” Sounds to me like you can mock up what ever you want!

Paul Mossberg

Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

My PO was having problems with getting Calif. to register and creating a VIN tag was the solution.

The little gal down at the DMV very nicely gave me the paperwork for my “1952 MG Dutch”
    They have no idea.

No trees were injured in the making of this message, but some electrons were inconvenienced.

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

joemoe65 wrote:
    Could you tell me the overall size of the plate?

The one I have appears to be same size as for that Gazelle.

Mine is only 1 5/8″ X 3″, smaller than a business card and much smaller than a credit card. For whatever reason, they left the model type blank.
    BTW picture isn’t face on or square because it has a mirror finish, being like new, and the camera reflection didn’t look right. I guess it’s made of brass, not sure.
    EDIT: um, okay. I was putting the plate away, seeing the back it’s aluminum!! Just a kind of gold color on front! How do I know not steel, not magnetic.
    I wonder if you could get a plaque/trophy maker to put together this kind of plate, using a Classic Motor Carriages name like from the Gazelle picture instead of FIBERFAB INTERNATIONAL (minus FF logo, too) in mine. And Miami, FL for location. Maybe the MG-TD REPLICA portion or similar.
    I searched again for any pictures of the actual VIN plate CMC used for MG TD. Nothing, sorry.

LRH2015-07-07 00:54:08

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I remember seeing a plate like that when I first got my  Fiberfab. I have absolutely no idea where it is now.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Joseph E. Monesmith
    Participant

@joemoe65

Thanks to all who responded to my request for information.  Thanks to LRH’s research of a Classic Motor Carriages name plate I am having a local trophy shop duplicate a plate replacing the Gazelle info with Classic MG (inside the octagonal shape).  NJ motor vehicle has agreed to doing this.  Once they verify the installation of the VIN plate they will proceed in the “re-VIN” process of making a replacement VIN for registration purposes.  I never could have done this on my own, folks.

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Great to hear, I’m glad to have helped some. Seems such a minor thing to me, just so bureaucracy is satisfied. At least it will be a pretty VIN plate.

Joseph E. Monesmith
    Participant

@joemoe65

I picked up my VIN replacement tag from our trophy shop today.  Moving on up guys…

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Nice!

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

I like it! My car has the TD emblem on the fake radiator instead of the MG I see on most others. Wished it had been MG but getting used to that TD on there, maybe more unique… or maybe not.

😉
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.