gathering of like minds

Home Forums General Discussion Clubs and Show gathering of like minds

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Duk
    Participant

@justduky

I have been reading through several post and one of the first questions that has came to mind is, is there some type of gathering of like minds or rally that is club supported. These type of events over the years can be are great way to meet and see each others cars in person. If there isn’t anything like this I would be interested in finding out if there was a lot of interest in having this type of event. I would be more than willing to help with trying to set something up.  

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

We’ve never really tried to organize our own event. Take a look at the registry page and map and see how spread out we are!

There are two events that we encourage all to attend, depending on whether they are east or west of the mighty Miss.

The annual Import/Kit/Replicar show in Carlisle Pennsylvania in May. And the annual Knotts Berry Farm Kit Car show in California in April.

Info on the May Carlisle show is here:

https://tdreplica.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1277& PN=1

Info on Knotts Berry Farm is here:

https://tdreplica.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1348& PN=1

PMOSSBERG40575.6475462963

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I was thinking of trying for a TD-only dinner and/or Scotch tasting this summer at Stoney’s Pub, in Wilmington, DE.

http://www.stoneyspub.com/

That’s about a two hour run for me, was hoping we could get a Jersey boy or two involved, and maybe even some of our NoVA friends.

Stoney would get a kick out of it, for sure. He’s so Brit he burns Guy Fawkes in effigy every year. Does a crackin’ Yorkshire pudding too.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I organized and sponsored the East Coast Karmann Ghia Treffen for four years. It was the only VW Karmann Ghia show east of the Mississippi. And although it was a blast having all the Ghias in one location, it’s a ton of work. Not doing one anymore. The logistics and cost were too much. But I did have a Ghia make it to Stone Mountain Park in Atlanta all the way from Philly! Great looking car too. Even doing a Statewide or areawide (Georgia, Alabama, Florida) show or gathering is quite an undertaking. My Ghia Treffen ran upwards of $600 a year just to break even. I’ll stick to going to the Carlisle show. Once I get the TD built and running.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Richard Wobby
    Participant

@richard-wobby

when you thinking of scotch tasting   I might be in. Not a Scotch drinker but where theres scotch generally Vodka is close behind.  Really have to get back working on my drinking problem.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Dunno, Rich. Maybe late summer, but you’re the first to respond so, when’s good for you?

If recollection holds true, Stoney does his roast beef dinner with yorkshire pudding on Saturday eves. He’s a scotch fan but mostly also a bar owner, so you’ll get vodka if you want. Keeps a keg or two of Guinness on site too.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Wow! Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding, Scotch AND Guinness?  When would this happen?  I could be talked into it, possibly, if I can risk another long distance trip.  Maybe I’d tow it behind my Odyssey if I can get the odometer disconnected for that trip.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

The speedometer cable should simply unscrew from the back of your speedometer.

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Richard Wobby
    Participant

@richard-wobby

Again, drinking problem I’m failing at. So let me kinow. September would probably be a good month. I’ll try to get Mrs Wobby to go ande we’ll make a trip of it. Maybe meet up along the way and hold a campout at the worlds largest campground. (Wal-Mart)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

September is looking good for this. Mid to late, I’m thinking. Greg the Delaware guy says he’s up for it (should, too, since it’s only 40-50 miles for him). 

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Who is good for Saturday, September 24?

Let me know if you can–or can’t–make it.

I am currently plotting a 20-mile country cruise to go along with. Thinking we could meet late afternoon at a park and drive the back roads for about 45 minutes to Stoney’s. The roads around there are pretty nice.

If we get more than two or three I’ll call Stoney ahead and get us some reserved parking and such. I might anyway…

Chime in, folks; let’s get a head-count.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

How dare you conflict with the high school football season!

This sounds like a fun day Ed. I hope you get a great turnout!

My daughter is drum major of her high school marching band. All my fall Saturdays are dedicated to her! I’ll be with you in spirit, but not in my car.

Paul Mossberg

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

As a former band geek (and drum & bugle corpsman, for those initiates of the truly obscure), I salute you & your priorities, sadly.

So who’s in?

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I too did the drum and bugle corps thing (waaaaaay back in the 60s) and won’t be able to make it. Work prevails and I must go to the left coast during that time period.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

I’m a proud former marching band member (several, actually) and DCI fan with a neice who was Drum Major in high school and marches with the Texas Christian University (TCU) who took the Rose Bowl this year.  It was great to see her in the Tournament of Roses Parade and the Rose Bowl Half-time show.

I probably can’t afford the time for another cross-country road trip, but I’ll be there in spirit.  I’ll pencil it in my calendar, just in case.  This sounds like a great gathering.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

A great gathering if anyone shows up!

Greg SChauber
    Participant

@clkdoc

Surely there is a date that we all can get together on. One weekend for the sake of letting the world know we are here and can join in the fun too. How about posting somewhere locally that we exist. There has to be others in your local that have TD replicars that do not know who or where to get in touch with us. A flier would be good. Let’s go guys.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Looking for an up or down vote on Sept. 24, Greg.

Will try to contact the dude with the white car; he’s the other side of Baltimore. But would like to hear now if people can do that Saturday.

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Ed,

I might be able to do, but was hoping it would be a little more south then

north.

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

At the risk of diluting attendance at the Lord Pothingham’s Bubble and Squeak, (I never could keep those British pub names straight), why not try to have the event in more than one location? A couple of cars here, a couple there and we have a real event linked by speaker phones the tables. That might encourage more to show up next year. Who’s in the south?

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Sorry Dale. I was thinking we had a shot at getting Mossberg to this, and maybe Mark. Also, I happen to know Stoney’s & think it’s an appropriate spot. The fish & chips there are good. The Brandywine valley has some real nice roads too. So I’m still keen to get a group there.*

B: There’s no risk of diluting attendance to an event that, so far, has one for-sure attendee: me.

That said, I’ll say this: right now there are two variables in this gig, time and place. I’ve picked a place and proposed a time, which can still be changed depending on who can or can’t make it to that place at that time. So my idea is for folks to say, out loud, on this board, pretty soon, either “yah, 9/24th is good for me” or “nyet re the 24th, but maybe I could get there on X/X,” with X/X being a different date.

Keeping only one variable in motion at one time makes this feasible for my tiny, tiny brain to comprehend. I swear, I’ve seen this method work. I encourage everyone to try it.

As for doing a more ambitious thing with multiple places and videophones and whatnot, COOL! I’d be totally stoked for that. BUT. Organizing gatherings at these other places would have to be the responsibility of other members. You’ll be adding variables which could make organization of said gathering even slightly more complicated than it might otherwise become. Not to say that there’s been any complications involved so far.

*Would very much like to do a trip down your way this season, perhaps
    with some of the Speedie guys. Bugout 70 is a very likely trip.

edsnova40725.3249189815

Greg SChauber
    Participant

@clkdoc

ED,
    YEA 9/24.  Come on guys. The Brandywine valley area is the gods gift to the MG TD world. Doesn’t get much better. Narrow roads, twisting curves, heavily wooded and the Brandywine river to boot. I loved to drive it when I owned my “real” 53 MG TD in the 70’s and I am going up to drive it again this Saturday with my Lovely Lady. Would be great if I had some fellow TD’s with me. It was a hard choice, the Brandywine or the beach. This week the Brandywine, next week the beach. I drive always with my Lovely Lady and Lovely Lady 2.
    Greg

Richard Wobby
    Participant

@richard-wobby

As I understand it… There’ll be food, Drink, Cars. Drink, Friends, Drink, photos, Drink, Wal=Mart the words largest campground< Drink  Oh I'll be there. 

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

YEAH boys! We’re on then. Three and counting. Hoping Schu can get it too. Dale, you want me to drive down your way that morning and accompany you? You want a place to crash that night after scotch or whatever?

I’ll be trying to track down the guy with the white car too. I have his name somewhere; just can’t recall it.

Three ain’t bad though to start. ‘Specially when one’s from Vermont.

And piloted by a madman.

Greg SChauber
    Participant

@clkdoc

Starting to schedule for Sep. Is the drive in the Brandywine still on? Havent heard much lately.

Greg

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.