Georgia Title, Registration & Insurance Questions

Home Forums General Discussion Georgia Title, Registration & Insurance Questions

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

No this is not the usual insurance question. Not sure about other states but in Georgia you MUST have insurance BEFORE/WHEN you get your vehicle registered. I’m planning on using Haggerty for the insurance but what does Haggerty or I use to insure insure my TDr? Kit car, VW. or MGTD. The DMV will probably use whatever is on the insurance. No title just bill of sale also. I am going to pick up the required paperwork to title the car. This will take about three months. But I can get it registered and that will help the process.
    Thanks all.
    PMOSSBERG2015-11-06 08:58:19

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Can’t say about Hagerty but State Farm used year of donor VW chassis and MG TD as make and model. Unfortunately I have no idea if that’s the usual way. You’re sure to get more responses on the subject anyhow.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Allen,

It is true proof of insurance is required to register a vehicle (in most states). But I think you have things out of order.
    At the end of your post you mention that you will “also be picking up the paperwork to title the car.”
    That step will actually be the first step in the overall process of titling, insuring and registering your TDr.
    In general:
    • States control what a vehicle is titled as, and the make/model/VIN is what the insurer will be responding to. So, I would expect the following sequence for titling, registering and insuring a kit car or home built car for the first time.
    • The Title comes first. The requirements and process vary state-by-state. But at the end of the day it is the state that determines how your vehicle is titled, what its make and model will be, and what VIN will be assigned to your car.
    • Then comes the insurance. The information that ends up on your insurance policy and ID card will match what the state says the car is. It’s not the other way around.
    • Now, with proof of insurance in hand, you can go back to the state and register the vehicle and get you license plates.
    The process varies from state to state. But I find it hard to believe you can get insurance on a vehicle without the insurer knowing exactly what the vehicle is titled as. I also find it hard to believe a state will title a vehicle based on what an insurance company says it is.

Once again, I refer everyone to the SEMA SAN tag & Title Toolbox. They have done a great job compiling the title and registration information and process for all fifty states.

The Georgia compilation is here:
    From the Georgia document, here is the sequence of events for an “assembled vehicle,” which is defined elsewhere as including a kit car. Notice that registration is the final event in the sequence:
    560-10-30-.09 Certificate of Title of an Assembled Motor Vehicle or
    Assembled Motorcycle. 
    (1) An owner applying for a certificate of title, and to register an assembled motor vehicle
    or assembled motorcycle in Georgia, shall submit: 
    (a) A title application on a form provided by the Commissioner along with the requisite
    supporting documentation; 
    (b) A Manufacturer???s Statement of Origin or present certificate of title and required
    supporting documentation; 
    (c) A labor and parts form prescribed by the Commissioner; 
    (d) A request for inspection of the assembled motor vehicle or assembled motorcycle on a
    form provided by the Commissioner; and 
    (e) Payment of all applicable fees for such inspection. 
    (2) The Department shall assess the following state fees for inspection of Assembled
    Motor Vehicles and Assembled Motorcycles:
    (a) Motorcycle: $125.00 
    (b) Motor Vehicle: $150.00 
    (3) Upon completion and submission of all required forms and payment of all fees as set
    forth by the Commissioner, the Department shall: 
    (a) Schedule an inspection of the motor vehicle or motorcycle; and 
    (b) Complete the inspection report on the form prescribed by the Commissioner. 
    (4) Upon determination by the Department that the application is acceptable along with
    the appropriate documentation that payment of all required fees has been received by the
    Department and that the Assembled Motor Vehicle has passed the inspection, the
    Department shall issue a Georgia Certificate of Title that states ???Assembled Vehicle??? in
    the legend. 
    (5) A person who has received the Georgia Certificate of Title for an Assembled motor
    vehicle or Assembled motorcycle shall then register such vehicle in the manner set forth
    by the Code.
    Also:
    560-10-30-.11 Registration of an Assembled Motor Vehicle, Assembled
    Motorcycle, or Unconventional Vehicle.
    (1) Prior to an applicant for registration of an Assembled vehicle or Assembled
    motorcycle being issued a Certificate, the applicant must have been issued a Georgia
    Certificate of Title in compliance with the Code and Regulations governing Assembled
    motor vehicles or Assembled motorcycles. 

PMOSSBERG2015-11-04 15:58:14

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Paul. As listed I have the following listed below:
      (a), (b) and (e). Item (c) has me a bit confused. I have a spreadsheet of all parts I purchased and the majority of the labor is completed by me. As for (d), it’ll have to wait until I get it ready for the road. The DMV didn’t have a labor and parts form. I’ll check out SEMA’s link and perhaps they will link me to the paperwork needed.
    (a) A title application on a form provided by the Commissioner along with the requisite supporting documentation; 
    (b) A Manufacturer???s Statement of Origin or present certificate of title and required supporting documentation; 
    (c) A labor and parts form prescribed by the Commissioner; 
    (d) A request for inspection of the assembled motor vehicle or assembled motorcycle on a form provided by the Commissioner; and 
    (e) Payment of all applicable fees for such inspection. 

Allen Caron

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

The Georgia PDF on SEMA SAN’s site has a lot of forms at the tail end.

I did not go through them all, but it seemed that any form referenced in the body of the doc were appended at the end.

PMOSSBERG2015-11-05 09:40:48

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Hagerty has a towing package you might want to consider . I used it 5 times the first year, once the second, two years now no tows . I have a small chip in the window that a car show deducted points so I plan on using it again.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Visiting the GA Tag Office tomorrow after physical therapy to get
    a copy of the labor and parts form prescribed by the Commissioner. The site has all of them except that one. So the process starts tomorrow. Its not like the car is ready yet BUT 5 – 6 weeks of good weather will have her ready to test drive. Thanks for all the help with all my insurance and titling etc. questions.

Allen Caron

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi gang,

There are several threads about the offerings of the different insurance agencies and companies.

Allen is not asking about that. He is asking about the titling, registration and insurance process, particularly in Georgia.

So let’s try to stay on point and not clutter this thread with that other discussion.

Yeah, I know. I’ll get off my soapbox now. 😉

Paul Mossberg

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Good luck Allen!

Hopefully you’ll find someone at your DMV office that is knowledgeable about this stuff!

Paul Mossberg

Bill Hartwick
    Participant

@greymind

I went thru my insurance company and but classic car insurance on my car. It cost me $109.00 dollars a year. I have a set amount of miles I can drive my car a year. I set the amount they pay if I wreck my car. I set that for more than I paid for the car.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Allen, hope you don’t mind, but since you were asking questions about the title, registration process and how that interacts with the insurance process, I changed the Title of the thread to match.

I’ve preached on this before…I truly believe we are building a valuable archive of info here, one post at a time. And we should try to keep that in mind.

There are several threads about insuring collector cars, what to look for and what to look out for. They go into great detail, with terrific input from many forum members. But that is not what this thread is about.

PMOSSBERG2015-11-06 09:03:01

Paul Mossberg

Jim
    Participant

@css4000

Great timing… I just insured my MG TD with Hagerty 2 days ago.. My insurance policy states Year: 1970 (which is the year of the VW chassis) then Make: MG  then Model: MGTD.. My Georgia registration card card is VW MG kit. Georgia ties everything by vin# when issuing plates. Online after putting in the information with Hagerty they had a problem how to list it but after talking to them and explaining what it was, they listed it that way. 

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Great to see someone who has gone through the Georgia process chime in!

Jim (css4000)…do we have it essentially correct? You had a title in hand before you went for insurance and registration, right?

PMOSSBERG2015-11-06 16:32:43

Paul Mossberg

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Update on all the paperwork. Went to the DMV and asked for copies of the Georgia FV forms to title my car. They said why are you doing that? We don’t issue titles to any vehicles older than 1980. The TD replica is for a 53 and the VW is a 1971.
    Take this VIN # certification and get it inspected by someone from the county sheriff’s office and have them fill it out. Then bring back the paperwork you have now and the bill of sale and proof of insurance and we’ll get it registered. They MUST be missing something in all the explanations. They did say they would register it as a 1971 VW MGTD Replica. I’ll keep you posted as the saga unfolds. Wish I knew how to blog. This would be quite the story. Angry
    Jim. If you don’t mind my asking, what did Haggerty cost you? Was it an agreed value?

newkitman2015-11-06 16:58:17

Allen Caron

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hmmm….

Not sure what to say to that Allen. When I read through the title info on SEMA SAN, I thought I read that kit cars will carry the year the car was completed as the “model year.” That seemed to translate to also receiving a title.

For what it’s worth, I really dislike the “non-title” approach that some states use for antiques. It complicates things if you go to sell the car to someone in a “title” state.

PMOSSBERG2015-11-07 09:00:17

Paul Mossberg

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-US
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-US
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-US
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

There it is, on page 16, in
    the “Kit Vehicle” section (the underlining is mine):

The year model of this
    vehicle will be the year that the vehicle was built. The make of this vehicle
    will be the trade name of the kit vehicle (i.e. Bradley GT, Gazelle, etc.). The
    model name of the vehicle will be the model shown on the manufacturer???s
    statement of origin (MSO) for the kit (i.e. Replica of a 1929 Mercedes Benz).

The DMV staff was partially
    correct. It is clear Georgia does not issue a title for vehicles with a model
    year of 1962 and older. But the above would seem to override that rule with
    respect to kit cars.

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:”Table Normal”;
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:””;
    mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0in;
    mso-para-margin-right:0in;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0in;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:”Calibri”,”sans-serif”;
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:”Times New Roman”;
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable

Paul Mossberg

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Not to worry Paul. I have all the forms required by SEMA filled out and will date and sign them and get the VIN# inspection paperwork signed by the county sheriff’s office.
    All will be ready by spring so when I walk into the DMV office I’ll have any kind of paperwork they need; whether the main office in Perry or the annex in Warner Robins. (And as an aside, the instructions from the two offices are ALWAYS different.)

Allen Caron

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

newkitman wrote:
    (And as an aside, the instructions from the two offices are ALWAYS different.)

Well…of course they are!

THAT is the one thing that every state DMV has in common!

Paul Mossberg

Jim
    Participant

@css4000

In answer to your question… In georgia you don’t need a title if its an older car.. not sure of how old but mine being a 1970 it only needed a bill of sale between the seller and me. With that and proof of insurance i can get it registered in Georgia.. Other states recognize the Georgia bill of sale and will process a title in their state where the buyer lives in a different state than Georgia..

Jim
    Participant

@css4000

Just looked it up.. In Georgia if your vehicle is 1985 or older you dont need a title when buying or selling a vehicle.. Bill of sale and proof of insurance is all that is required

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.