Hard starting in hot weather

Home Forums General Discussion Hard starting in hot weather

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

The hot summer heat is very high here in Central Florida. I have been having a problem restarting my Classic Roadster MGTDr, after being driven for a while. I am not over heating, but my VW engine turns over very slowly, or not at all upon restarting the engine when it is hot. May this be a wire resistance problem? I am running a #2 gauge battery cable from where my battery is, in the front hood trunk space. My battery ground to the frame is clean and tight. I also have a new 550 cranking battery as well, with a dash mounted push button starter switch, and a #12 gauge wire from the switch, to the starter solenoid.

Thanks for your feed back and suggestions!

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida
    (Near where Mickey Mouse lives)

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Dave, if the dash mounted push button starter switch is just causing the starter motor to try to turn the engine over, then it is not the problem.  This switch sends a signal to the starter solenoid.  The solenoid  pulls the starter gears into the flywheel and it at the same time, closes a contact to apply 12vdc to the starter motor. 

The fastest and easiest way to eliminate concerns about wiring is to hook up some jumper cables from the installed battery to a good ground point and also the + terminal directly to the starter motor.  Then try and start.  If everything’s ok and it starts, you have a #2 gauge wiring or connection/terminal problem. 

If it doesn’t change anything and still won’t turn over, then you may have either a battery problem or a starter motor problem.  I replaced my starter motor and solenoid last year.  Rebuilt Bosch from one of the discount auto stores.  

Starter and solenoid were <$50. 

New batteries can be bad.  Have it tested.  It is free at most of the discount auto stores. 

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I get my battery cables from Summit on line. Great price and quite thick. 1 gauge I believe.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Sometimes in Western New York we have 90 degrees humid weather and I have had the same problem car turned over slow when engine was hot . Tried lots of things . Cables, posts , Battery relay ,etc . One day I took my new battery to Auto Zone . My 6 month old battery was shot ! Replaced no problems since .. Something I thought about . Could I put a battery in with a higher could cranking power or would that be a mistake .

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

A higher cold cranking amp battery would pose no problem. You pay more for the additional capacity, that is all. Just never go to a smaller amp rating than recommended.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Anonymous
    Inactive

Samba VW site has forum with some listings for hard to start when hot. The site is a good place to look for info on VW based engines.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

It just might be a worn starter bushing – the one in the tranny. I’ve seen that to cause this symptom. Somehow, the heat buildup in the engine and tranny can cause the armature to bind a bit…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.