Hello and . . .

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Hello and . . .

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Philip Gregory
    Participant

@philipgregory

. . . Am I in the right place?   For a new post on my problem?   I’m gray and retired so anything is possible.

I just bought an older kit, what I think is a 53 MG TD, on a 64 VW. Previous owner didn’t know.

My problem, well my first problem, is the steering wheel is too far off the dash. I can barely get in and out. The wheel adapter is 3 1/2 inches.   The shaft also sticks out longer than it looks like it should. But, doubt I could that. I need a 1 1/2 inch adapter, if I could find one. The shaft has 36 splines and the wheel 5 holes.

I’ve looked everywhere online without success. Does anyone know where I could find a shorter adapter. As last resort I thought I’d get a machinist to shorten it, but I worry about the strength.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Hey, Phillip! Welcome to the forum.

Your problem sounds solvable. Can you tell us the manufacturer of your steering wheel? Or better yet, show us a picture? It’s a little fiddly to upload a pic to this site but I think that process is going to change within the next week or two.
    Meanwhile: have you tried ebay search and amazon search? I put in “VW steering wheel adapter five hole” and up pops this short 3-hold Grant (the one on my car), this 5-hole spacer (2-inches) which I’ve seen on some Porsche replicas.
    If you know, or can learn, the wheel mfg it should be a simple matter of contacting the manufacturer.
    Philip Gregory
    Participant

@philipgregory

Thank you for your reply Ed. Yes, I’ve looked at eBay, amazon and mg td parts and kit parts sites.   My wheel is a 3 spoke with 2 holes in each spoke. It looks like this one, http://lovesphotoalbum.com/2012/08/09/td-model-of-1952-mg-wooden-steering-wheel-dashboard/

I’ve seen some adapters that could fit but they don’t specify the shaft diameter or holes spacing. I looked at what you listed – thank you – but same problem.

Thanks again, Ed

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

I love my new set up since I removed the VW colum and installed a 3/4″ steering shaft from EMPI. I moved everything that was on the stock column to the dash. I had a welder attach a custom union to the shaft and found a cool steering shaft support from SoCal speed shop to mount on the dash. I finished it off with a cool banjo wheel. This set up let me choose the perfect distance from the dash to the wheel. The shaft is chrome so what little is showing is shiny. Its real cool!

Philip Gregory
    Participant

@philipgregory

That sounds like it was quite a project. More than I would want to take on. But, it would solve my problem. I’m still hoping for a cheaper solution. I’m sure there is a smaller adapter out there some where.

sreynolds
    Participant

@sreynolds

Philip, you might try Forever Sharp steering wheels. I just replaced a Grant type steering wheel with an Forever Sharp steering wheel and it came with a 1 1/2″ mounting hub and it bolted right up to the steering shaft and the steering wheel. I think if you talk with their tech support folks they could tell you if the 1 1/2″ mounting hub would work with your set up.

Sam

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Forever Sharp is who made my wheel. Im very pleased with it.

Philip Gregory
    Participant

@philipgregory

Thanks Sam, and all. I think I will give Forever Sharp a call and see about their adapter. If necessary buy a new wheel with the shorter adapter.

Philip Gregory
    Participant

@philipgregory

All fixed.   I ordered a hub from Forever Sharp. I had to have it machined a bit to minimize the offset, but that was cheap and simple.   Went from 6″ to 3″. Now I can get in and out without scraping my ribs.

Thanks for the advice.

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Forever Sharp has some very nice wheels at extremely reasonable price. I may give them a call, too.
    Thanks for the tip!Thumbs Up

Amor Conquista Todo

Philip Gregory
    Participant

@philipgregory

Trying to post pictures… Ahh, it’s like the HTML days.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.