Hood length on Ford CMC

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Hood length on Ford CMC

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    wingsman
    Participant

@wingsman

I am assembling a CMC ford pinto kit. The PO trimmed the hood and it is way out of square. Could someone measure the length of their hood right down the center and let me know what the dimension is? I am just wondering if I have enough material to straighten it out properly without making it too short.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi wings….

This is going to be a fun thread to watch.

Your question is perfectly logical…but….

If six owners respond, I’m willing to bet you will receive six slightly different answers. Remember, for the most part, these are hand built cars, even the “factory builds.”

And the only measurement that will really matter is the one on your car.

Hopefully you haven’t and won’t touch the hood until you have the body assembled and the grill and cowl are in place. It’s only then that you will know for sure about your hood fitment.

If your body panels bolt together, there will be some room for minor tweaking if the hood fit isn’t right. I would keep things a bit loose until everything is in place.

PMOSSBERG2015-03-31 12:39:54

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

wingsman
    Participant

@wingsman

I figure the number will be all over the place, but at least I’ll have a rough idea for starting point.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Let’s see how many variations are out there. I’ll measure mine when I get home from work.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

DonsMG
    Participant

@donsmg

Mine is a Ford kit and I’m quite sure it’s a Fiberfab. 

The length of the hood measures 44 7/16″ center, 44 1/4″ right edge and 44 1/8″along the left edge.
    To get a good fit I had to leave the remains of a crude scribe line 1/4″ at the front edge of the hood.
    I recommend you always measure and test fit each panel before making a cut. It will take a lot more time to add back later.  

Don Loveless
    Ford Pinto Fiberfab
    Rochester, MI

Melvin Collins
    Participant

@fairwindsnc

My ’82 Fiberfab, unmolested hood is 47 inches, I may not use it.

Mel

wingsman
    Participant

@wingsman

Like I said mine was trimmed by the PO and is at 45.5  and way out of square, so it looks like I have plenty left to trim once I get the grill mounted to the side panels

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Just wondering if the front engine kits have hood lengths different than a VW based kit. Seems the hood would be the same regardless. I’ll measure my VW based Fiberfab hood just for grinzos.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Royal
    Participant

@royal

*****Daytona VW*****

******* 42-7/8″******

Johnny L. Baxter
    Participant

@johnnyb

I’m also building a CMC Ford Pinto kit, but the fiberglass pieces are about 45 miles away in the shop on my small farm. I’ll measure it when I go over to check on “money pit/Camp house” on Friday 4/3/15. I’m glad to add another “random number” into the hood lottery.

JohnnyB

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

***** CMC/Fiberfab VW-based *****

44-3/8 Right
    44-1/2 Center
    44-3/8 Left 

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Finally…
    44-1/2″
    Mine has also been trimmed due to front end wreck.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

doug schmidt
    Participant

@dougsgarage

I am glad this topic came up. The PO who had mine trimmed the hood and side panels wrong and uneven. It took three months of head scratching and trial fitting to get both left and right sides even and level. Almost my break point. The fender heights are within 1/2 inch of each other. The hood took at least 5 or 6 trimmings to match up to the grill and cowl sides evenly. I started with a 47 inch hood and ended up with a 45 inch hood, which meant trimming the side panels to match. Cut-test fit -cut again- etc.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

This is good stuff. Like I wrote earlier, the beauty of “hand built.”

I’m not home to measure my hood. I will this weekend. But I predict that one side of the hood is a quarter inch or so shorter than the other side. Why? Because the entire car is just a wee bit out of kilter. You’d never know it from curbside. But the measuring tape never lies.

I blame the builder. Some smart a** 23 year old kid who thought he could build a giant model car out of a kit.

Oh.
    Wait.
    What?

Yeah, right! That 23 year old wise guy was me!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Like snowflakes, these are.

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

BCW Chevette = 46″ center both top hoods, 45 3/4″ right side, 45 5/8 left side

1986 British Coach Works Type 52 (Sammy)
    Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

BCW VW = 46″ also, hood center. It is my understanding (and the manual says) that the parts in these kits were pre-assembled or mfg’d to closer tolerances and so did not require stuff like “hood trimming.”

The BCW cars were also some 3 inches longer overall than real TDs, so an inch or two extra in the hood is no surprise.

edsnova2015-04-01 22:26:59

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Like snowflakes, these are.

Thanks, Yoda.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

DonsMG
    Participant

@donsmg

Another point of reference is the the Hood “Strip”, available from MG Magic Inc., S/S Finished ends 44 1/4″ with fasteners. My kit did’t include a hood strip and i’ve been thinking about adding one. At 44 1/4″ it should fit my 44 7/16″ hood.

Don Loveless
    Ford Pinto Fiberfab
    Rochester, MI

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Don, I thought of doing that also since my Daytona has no chrome or ss hood strip either.  But, I have a raised section in the fiberglass which would be directly under the strip.  Decided against it. 

I believe that the fiberglass on hoods of cars with the strip are flat.  (no raised section or bump) 

DonsMG
    Participant

@donsmg

Roy, I guess my options are still open. My hood (Fiberfab) is flat, no raised section or bump. 🙂

Don Loveless
    Ford Pinto Fiberfab
    Rochester, MI

Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

Classic motor’s Duchess
    Chevette
    44.5″ center 45″ both sides.
    Flat hood with center strip.

No trees were injured in the making of this message, but some electrons were inconvenienced.

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

CMC factory built;  44 3/4 down center 44 1/2 each side

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.