Intro

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant

@v8square

Hi. I’m Tom from Crystal Lake, Illinois and have a question. I have a tube chassis, sbc powered VW Squareback project car. I would like to put a MG body on it as I have seen, in the past, replicas on VW chassis. What is the wheelbase of a MG and do you think a V8 would fit in the front of one?

Royal
    Participant

@royal

“sbc” as in small block Chevrolet?

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

They use the stock, full-length bug frame. V-8 s have been shoehorned in, but often by removing the side panels from the hood. That hood is narrow and a 289 Ford would more readily fit than a 327 Chevy..

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

There have been recent postings of unassembled kits offered for sale. Do a search of recent threads for links to these. There are members here with V8 power.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

This would be the latest posting…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replica-Kit-Makes-MG-TD-KIT-TD-/261867714441?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3cf8883789&item=261867714441

Not too far from you.
    PMOSSBERG2015-05-02 08:43:31

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Tom
    Participant

@v8square

Yes

Tom
    Participant

@v8square

KentT wrote:
    They use the stock, full-length bug frame. V-8 s have been shoehorned in, but often by removing the side panels from the hood. That hood is narrow and a 289 Ford would more readily fit than a 327 Chevy..

You see. I have a brand new, Glass Works 2″ x 3″ tube chassis, with a Mustang II front suspension, new (not rebuilt) Chevy 350, 330 horse (never been ran), 700R4 transmission, narrowed 9″Ford, 4:11, triangulatd 4-bar rear end in rolling condition. Currently, I have a 1969 VW Squareback body sitting on it. I thought a MG would be an interesting body to put on it. My chassis has a 94.5″ wheelbase. Wish I could get some specs on the MG or talk to some folks that are running V8’s in them.I am really computer ignorant and wish I knew how ro search this site or add pictures of my setup.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

According to specs in the original brochure that I have the FiberFab MiGi replica has a wheelbase of 94″, rear width of 58″ and front width of 59″. Those width measurements are likely for the body and not the tire track, since they are simply labeled width.

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Tom
    Participant

@v8square

KentT wrote:
    According to specs in the original brochure that I have the FiberFab MiGi replica has a wheelbase of 94″, rear width of 58″ and front width of 59″. Those width measurements are likely for the body and not the tire track, since they are simply labeled width.

Thank you. By the way, how can I post pics on this forum from Photobucket?

Melvin Collins
    Participant

@fairwindsnc

I used a 9 inch narrowed front suspension which is about a 48, 49 inch wheel mounting surface also a narrowed 8 inch rear.

Info I found for track widths as follows

VW 51.4 front 50.7 rear

Original TD 47.2 front 50 rear

MGB 49 front   

rear

Check tommietd build also Gabe’s build is great

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I’d love to see this project finished.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

PhotoBucket should have several link options under each picture.

You want to copy the link that has “[ img ] photo url [ /img ]” (note that the spaces will not be there)

If there is no link to copy, open the picture and manually copy the url.
    Then just type ” [ img ] ” before the url and ” [ /img ]” after it. (again, with out the spaces around img)

PMOSSBERG2015-05-03 07:54:46

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Fun V8 TD. This car is somewhere in Pennsylvania. Hope I run into her someday!

PMOSSBERG2015-05-06 15:25:05

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.