it happened again

Home Forums General Discussion it happened again

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

SleepyToday my wife are out for a road trip to a local gift shop.The car quits running,no fuel in the gas filter. The car has a mechanical pump that was put in this spring hopefully thats it.[still under warrenty] Gas gage shows half tank of gas .I don’t know how accurate it is.I called hagerity insurance,they picked my wife, myself and the car up in a half hour delivered us home my car to a local garage.If any one needs insurance i strongly recommend them .53 bucks per year gets you flat bed towing for all your cars ,gas delivery,a jump and other benefts. They are quick to respond . Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Greg , I had the same thing happen to my TD also, my fix was a pain but it has not happened since Big smile I had to remove the gas tank and had it steemed [the inside] then i sealed it, i added a larger filter at the tank on the frame . A little time, but no more troubles  Dan 

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

I had the same problem and it turned out to be a bad new fuel pump, but,…
    you have to start at the tank and work all the way back to the carb to check for the problems instead of just replacing parts and hopeing to hit on the answer.
    Disconnect the fuel line from the tank at the filter and see if there’s a free flow of fuel, if not, blow back through the line to see if you can clean off the screen in the tank outlet and make sure it’s not clogged, that there’s no obstruction inside the tank.
    Hook the line back up to the fuel filter, disconnect the line from the pump to the carb, hook another longer line to it, have someone crank the engine and see if the pump pumps fuel.
    If it does, make sure your carb is clean, that the float’s not hanging up, the the needle valve isn’t stuck shut.
    It should be fairly easy to see where the problem is.
    The only other cause could be excessive temps in the engine compartment and vaporization of the fuel (vapor lock) so that it doesn’t pump. Altho this is unlikely, where do you live and how hot is it?

Royal
    Participant

@royal

My guess is that Dan R has hit it.  

I have had this problem on so many old cars that I have restored or pressed back into service after long layups, that I assume that the gas tank needs to be cleaned out as a minimum.  For the same reason, I am not a fan of used (junk yard) gas tanks.  It is a time consuming process to clean them thoroughly and then coat the inside (POR15 works good).  On my Jensen Healey that I scavenged from a junk yard, I went through 7 filters and had hooked up two filters in series before giving up and taking the tank out.  
    Don’t be confused if your car seemed to run good for a while before this problem started revealing itself.  Your driving it around sloshes the fuel inside and washes the inside of the tank walls.  You would be amazed at the rust, crud, junk, goey stuff that I have taken out of gas tanks that worked great until I took my first ride down the road.  
    Try everything mrimd suggests and then if no joy, remove and clean the tank.  To prove it to yourself that it is fuel, I have a one gallon tank from an old lawnmower that I put nice new fuel in and hook it up to the inlet of the fuel pump.  (this is only for a test)  Good luck.  I hate this kind of problem.   
    Richard Shear
    Participant

@gbidick

The roadster has an aluminum tank so it should be easy to clean. I would check the fuel flow from the tank to the filter 1st , as rust should not be a problem in the tank, but still can get dirt or water.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Great!  I did not know that LR’s had aluminum tanks.  Dick’s right!  My previous post doesn’t apply.  

Richard Shear
    Participant

@gbidick

Roy had a real good idea to prove it could be the fuel pump. I would run a gas line from a gas can to the fuel filter. If it is a bad fuel pump , it will not draw gas out of the can.  I also hope that everyone treats their gas with an additive. As Ethenol creates water in the gas tank and is also not good for carborators

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

I heard to additives run about $7-$8 per tank.

Richard Shear
    Participant

@gbidick

I use STA-BIL fuel stabilizer. 8oz bottle .  1oz for 2 1/2 gallon gas if you are storing the car or lawn mower/snow blower or gas can for the season. 1 oz for 5 gallons to treat gas that you are using in your car during the summer. One bottle can treat up to 40 gallons. Only cost a few dollars for 8 oz.

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

All this advice is nice, but you still have to test the output of the fuel pump. Attach another line to the outlet of the pump and run it into a fuel can away from the car and turn the engine over and see if it pumps fuel. If it does pump. then everything in the line is open. If it doesn’t pump, then the pump may need replacement if the line’s not clogged.
    After I replaced my fuel pump the second time I still had the same problem with the car running fine, then totally just quitting. Even though my coil tested OK by measuring the resistance of the two windings, sometimes they don’t fail until heated up. I replaced the coil and my engine has been fine ever since. Just to let you know – there may not be anything wrong with the fuel system, but make sure you test the output of the pump. And open or remove the carb and check the float and needle valve to make sure they are not stuck.

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

problem solved gas gage shows half tank,gas tank emty.How stupid am i.Must of burned up alot of gas in parade on 4th of july. 

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

I was going to ask you if you ran out of gas but I thought that would be too dumb of a question.
    Glad you sorted it out, at least you now know what to do next time (ha) and we don’t each try to come up with the best solution.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Yeah but  –  if Greg had taken Dan R & my advice and removed the tank, he would have discovered that there was no gas in the tank.  😉

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

If he had taken my advice and just disconnected the fuel line from the filter he would have found out the same thing without removing the tank – a whole lot easier I think.

Or, what he probably did, is just remove the cap on the filler neck and look inside.
    mrlmd2012-07-10 15:24:23

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.