London Roadster Gets a Lift

Home Forums General Discussion London Roadster Gets a Lift

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

I think you said that you have not driven your car very much yet. When I first got mine, it was almost undriveable. I needed to soften up the front end a lot. And put on new and softer shocks. And dramatically reduce tire air pressure. And installed neoprene bushings. New tires. Adjusted steering box. In the rear, I gambled and got lucky by installing coil over helper springs that did the trick.

I really think that you might want to drive it a while before making changes to the suspension unless you know that the shocks are bad, for example.

Sorry, but that’s my 2¢.

Edward Davidson
    Participant

@mg-wanna-b

I know that the shocks are bad, and leaking oil. I can push them all the way down, they stay there, then pull them back up.

I can also stop anywhere in between.

I can get a set of coil over shocks rated to 1,200 pounds of extra load, and, figure that is enough to hold the rear. it’s not like it’s gonna be a daily driver.

Edward Davidson
    Participant

@mg-wanna-b

got the driver’s side to match the same angle as the passenger’s side. had to elongate the mounting hole for the inside pivot, but, it worked.

Edward Davidson
    Participant

@mg-wanna-b

well folks, I was finally able to get some replacement shocks that actually fit the car as they should, properly.

couldn’t seem to find any coil over shocks within the right range of specs, for this car.

I was able to get the passenger’s side in, yesterday, and, hope to get the driver’s side in today. I do have some work to do, removing some of the fiberglass, where the top stud sticks through the floor of the area behind the seat.

it was no fun reinstalling the one that’s in, due to the space constraints, and, the fact that I didn’t remove the axles, but that’s ok, live and learn.

hopefully, this will help the rear sag, as, it is just a small amount of sag. if not, I’ve been doing some digging around to see what would be a suitable fix, relatively cheap, to raise it up.

pictures coming later today.

Richard Shear
    Participant

@gbidick

What brand and model and number shock did you end up getting ?

Edward Davidson
    Participant

@mg-wanna-b

I went with Monroe sensa track shocks, with stud ends on both ends, but, don’t remember the part number.

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

can yo look on your receipt fo r  part number    thanks

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

I would also be interested in that part number so I can add it to my part information list .

Richard Shear
    Participant

@gbidick

Is there any chance of getting the P/n for the rear shocks . I would like to get new ones on my LR before I sell it.

Edward Davidson
    Participant

@mg-wanna-b

i’ll get them, this evening. haven’t been able to get over to it in a couple weeks.

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

that  would be  great   thanks …

Edward Davidson
    Participant

@mg-wanna-b

ok, just got back from putting it back on the lift so that the generator job won’t be so low to the floor to do, plus, with a little looking around, my car does have an idiot light for the generator, I think.

there is a red indicator light, but, I don’t know if it’s for the generator, or the bright lights. there is only 3 though.

the part number I have is an advance auto part number, and, you might want to see if there is a shock with these dimensions, without the dust cover. these have dust covers, and, some coil spring removers won’t work with these shocks. I bought a set, and, had to modify them to work, and, still made a couple of small dents in the dust covers.

look up 5819 st.

also underneath that number is 28-80309, possibly the Monroe number, but not sure.

there is a “p12178 c3” at the bottom of the label, and, “0 48598 04193 7 underneath the barcode.

it was in a Monroe box.

hope this helps.

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

thxz so much ..

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.