Lucky Lense replacement and bulb upgrade

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Lucky Lense replacement and bulb upgrade

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Hello everyone. It has been awhile
    since I have posted , but come to the forum often.

I have a CMC/FF with Lucky tail lights. I recently replaced
    these old faded lenses with Triumph Spitfire GT6 lenses which are a perfect
    match (even stamped Lucas). I got the pair of EBAY with gaskets for $35.00
    shipped. That is about ½ the price of Lucky lenses at MG Magic. I decided to to
    a bulb upgrade while at it as I had tried LED 1157 replacements before with bad
    results I did a web search and found these 1157 upgrades.

Standard 1157: High(Brakes) 2.1 amps???Low(Tail light)1.0 amps..
    Candlepower High32/Low 3

I replaced them with these that use the same socket.

Upgrade 2357LL: High 2.2 amps—Low1.0 amps Candlepower
    High40/Low 3

That is a 25% increase of CP on High(brakes)..It made a noticeable
    difference. I then took shiny aluminum tape and lined the tail light bases to
    get reflection and saw another increase. It was well worth the $4.00 a pair and
    can be found at your local parts store.

There is also a bulb upgrade for my rear turn signals which
    is a 1156 bulb to a 1295 bulb.

1156: amps 2.24 ???32 candlepower      1295: 3.0 amps 50 candlepower which is
    over 50% increase.

Forget the H1157 halogen bulb, it is a huge increase to 107
    candlepower high and 25 low, but runs at a much higher temp that could melt
    plastic lenses and draws 3.9 amps.

Both of these upgrades use the same sockets in the Lucky
    bases. I have not tried the 1295s yet as my local parts stores do not carry
    them, but can be found at McMaster Carr. I am happy with the changes with
    little money spent and don???t forget the aluminum tape which can be found at
    hardware stores.

Mike

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Thanks Mike.

Good stuff.

Are the “lucky” lenses glass or plastic? If the latter, any problem with the higher output bulbs getting too hot for the lenses?

Are your turn signal and tail light/brake light bulbs both under the lucky lenses?

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Paul,
    the original Lucky lenses and the Triumph are both plastic. The lucky set up uses two bulbs, an 1156 and an 1157. So far there has been no heat problem and I don’t think there will be as the watts go from 26.8 on the 1157 to 28.1 on the 2357, amps2.1 to 2.2 for a gain of 8 candlepower or 25% improvement over original bulb. I  noticed almost as much increase in brightness after I upgraded the bulbs by adding the shiny aluminum tape to line the bases as a reflector.
    I have always been a little leery driving my car with tail lights so low to the ground, brake lights not very bright and someone right on my tail trying to figure out what I am driving and not watching my brake or turn signal. I have even been using hand signals with my turn signals and brakes, but heck anyone under 30 may think I am flashing gang signs.

Mike N Scarlett2014-08-13 23:19:27

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-SPITFIRE-GT6-TAIL-LAMP-LENS-pair-LUCAS-with-GASKETS-New-/251615921565?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a957a459d

Just wanted to add the Triumph lens link for those that might need them to replace the faded Lucky.
    They will have reflector tape in the lower section that needs to be removed as the Triumph had single bulbs instead of the two the lucky has.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Mike,

Do you have a base under the lenses? Or just the two sockets, inserted into the fiberglass?

The original lucky lens base is a one bulb fixture:

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

My bases look exactly like what you show except they have two bulbs
    which  I assume are factory Lucky bases as they show no signs of being
    modified.The sockets go straight into the base not slanted or horizontal . MG Magic shows the original Lucky lense in the attached link (looks like the Triumph style), but not the Lucky base. Mine have a base, a gasket between the base and the fender and a gasket between the lense and the base. The fender is relief cut for the sockets extend behind the base as the bulbs are perpendicular.  I am positive these have not been modified. I originally wanted to change my lights out for 52 TD style which some of the replicas came with, but have grown to really like the Triumph style that came on the car.
    I think Newkitman (Allen) has a CMC/FF like I have. It would be interesting to find out what tail lights he has. It looks like the Triumph bases you show have a reflector like I replicated with the aluminum tape on mine to throw more light. As a note my old lenses are stamped Lucky.
    These style lights use 1 screw at top of lense and a tang at the bottom that fit into the base.
    http://www.mgmagicclassicmotorparts.com/lights/?sort=featured&page=2 

Mike N Scarlett2014-08-14 16:15:33

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Triumph Lens/Lucky Replacement

Reflective tape on black rubber lens gasket

Base with two bulbs. If look close at the sockets you can see a strap that ties into the base sides. The fender is relieved for the sockets. I don’t think this is a modified Triumph base, CMC/FF may have has these made for their cars.

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Paul,
    I just looked at page 41 in the CMC VW  download manual section and they show how/ what CMC did. Why did I not think to look at such a valuable resource. The sockets have flanges that bolt to the fender, then the base which has no center section mounts over the socket and bolts to the fender. I dont think CMC modified/ cut out base center of Triumph bases, but had a replica base made which was nothing but a beauty ring and mount for the lens.
    The CMC Chevette use the same lens, but a different base(original Triumph style) with a single dual filament bulb.

Mike N Scarlett2014-08-15 15:40:53

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Hey guys you keep saying these are “Triumph” parts, but aren’t they also correct for the MGA?

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Ed I think they are close, but this is what I find listed for MGA
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/MGA-SPRITE-TR3-JAGUAR-MORGAN-REAR-TAIL-LIGHT-NEW-/200889330400?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec5efeae0&vxp=mtr

The lucky style use the same lens as some Triumph Spitfire and GT6.  Profile angle is

Similar , but the base seems to have more of an oval and the lense uses two screws. The complete MGA unit would look good on my CMC and other Kit makes. I think Mg Magic sells complete units that look close to the MGA unit.

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-US
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:”Table Normal”;
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-parent:””;
    mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0in;
    mso-para-margin-right:0in;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:8.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0in;
    line-height:107%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:”Calibri”,”sans-serif”;
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Mike N Scarlett2014-08-15 08:34:20

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

That MGA one looks pretty interesting. I wonder…

If I pulled out the old Dremel and opened up the center of that base…I wonder if it would fit around the two bulbs already installed in my fenders under the VW lenses.

Anyone know the measurements on the MGA lens?

PMOSSBERG2014-08-15 20:54:28

Paul Mossberg

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

I think the MGA  style would look good.  Mcmaster Carr gives dimensions on an 1157 bulb as 1″ diameter and 2″ overall length.
    Based on that number and this photo at MG Magic:
    http://www.mgmagicclassicmotorparts.com/taillight-assembly-complete-replacement-each/
    you should be able to get a rough idea on overall size.
    On my CMC/ FF fender it appears the MGA style would bolt on with no problem.
    Moss Motors sells the entire assembly for $34.95.
    Moss link:
    http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29257

Paul does your car use the VW tail Lights  ?

I think the center would dremel out nicely.

Mike N Scarlett2014-08-16 10:02:40

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Mike,

MY Duchess has VW lenses. The two sockets under each lens are installed in holes drilled through the fiberglass.

Paul Mossberg

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.