Luggage Rack

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Luggage Rack

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

If anyone would like a PDF drawing of the luggage rack that mounts to the engine cover just pm me with your email and I would be happy to send it to you. You can see what it looks like on my car in my gallery. Mine came with the kit and is chromed, but I think it would look good with powder coat or paint. Its made from a thin wall 5/8 and 3/8 tubing and could be made with minimal fabrication skills. I would think if you didnt have a welder that a local machine or welding shop would weld it for less than $50.00 if you had everything ready to go.

Mike

Richard Johnson
    Participant

@rrffjj

Mike,
    If you still have the pdf drawing of the luggage rack available I’d appreciate a copy.
    Thanks much,
    Richard
    rj50willys@msn.com

The only difference between men and little boys is the price of their toys. 

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Jusy saw your post today Richard. I will send you a copy as soon as I get to my desktop with the file on it.

Mike

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

I’d like to see it, too.

Paul Allain
    Participant

@pga64

If you could send me a copy, i’d appreciate it.

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Just send me a pm with your email guys and I would be happy to send you a copy.  I am not sure if the moderators have a way of posting a downloadable pdf. file on this site, but if they have interest I could send it to them. I have sent a few of these drawings to members, but have not heard any feedback as to the rack being easily constructed in the home shop. The drawing is a measured pdf of my factory rack. It is made from 5/8 and 3/8 thinwall tube that will be easy to bend with an inexpensive hand bender. Even if you dont have welding capabilities a local fab shop will weld it for you.

Mike

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Mike,

I’ve got mine cut and bent now I need to get it welded. Do you drive arund with anything on the rack or just put something on it for shows?

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Glad to hear you got yours ready for welding Allen. A Tig job would look sweet, but a steady hand on a Mig would be fine too. I have recently picked up a wicker picnic basket I plan to strap on to my rack. How do you plan to finish yours? Paint, powder coat or chrome?

Mike

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Once assembled my plan is to get a price from the nearest place (Atlanta) to have it chromed. I’m thinking around $200 to have it chromed. If its higher than that then powder coating it silver is my next choice. I purchased a 30s style piece of luggage that I’ll strap to it.

newkitman40629.4293287037

Allen Caron

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Mike,

I sent you a pm with my email address.

We should be able to put the rack plans up on the download manuals site.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

He Guys, Why not make the racks out of aluminum tubing ,like the top bows are made of? It would be eaiser to bend and when wet sanded with 400 or 600 grit paper ,and then polished with metal polish, it’s almost as bright as chrome. It will never rust or peel and keeps getting brighter every time you polish it. I did my top bows and they look really good . It only takes minimal effort and even less expense.

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Paul, I emailed you the drawing.

Larry, the Aluminum could be a good idea. I know that some aluminum can be tricky to bend. I did some research at McMaster Carr and found some 5/8 O.D. high pressure 6061 aluminum tube that they say is bendable with a tube bender. I have tried to bend flat sheet 6061 16 gage in a brake and that is what it did (brake on me). I suppose the tube bent with the larger radius would bend much better than the sharp 90 degree i was putting on the flat sheet and like you said could be fine sanded or buffed with a scotch brite pad until it had a nice shine. Your mention of the aluminum got me thinking about stainless tubing. I have bent stainless tube with a hand bender with good results. It wont have the high shine of chrome, but would look decent and no rust.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

I have not skills I would trust to try making one good enough to put on my car.  I don’t have tube benders or any kind of welder.  Are luggage racks available commercially, or could I commission a chromed one from someone?

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Anyone try filling an aluminum tube with sand and then bend it? IIRC that’s the way they used to bend tubing back in the 40s and 50s. Yeah…I AM that old!

Allen Caron

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.