MG TD Allison engine removal

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits MG TD Allison engine removal

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lee Temple
    Participant

@parkadoodle

Hi, does anyone have any experience with this on an Allison? Need to rebuild the motor, so I need to disassemble the rear to be able to get it out.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi,

No hands on experience with an Allison. But to drop a VW motor out of a car, you only need a few inches of clearance to slide the engine back.

On My Duchess, I accomplished that by cutting away some of the fiberglass on the rear valance (wasn’t much, and I followed the rough outline of the engine block. I have to remove the crank pulley before moving the engine, which by itself gains a couple inches of room. No clue if any of this will help on your Allison.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Stephen Houser
    Keymaster

@stephenhouser

On my London Roadster (somewhat like a Daytona MiGi) only the rear bumper is in the way of pulling it straight back to get out. There is no “apron” around the bottom of the hatch that holds the spare tire. 1/2 the time I remove the bumper, 1/2 the time I jack it waaaaay up and slide it under.

Buxton, Maine
    1982 London Roadster - "Kit Kat"

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.