MIGI newbie needs advice!

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits MIGI newbie needs advice!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Tyler
    Participant

@london

Hey folks. I went to a local dealership selling a VW migi for $3,900. I’d like your input on if it is a good deal or if I should pass. Here’s what it needs:

Two side mirrors

Both side windows

Windshield is installed backwards

No roof / metal supports

Rusty grille

No bumpers

No wood on dash.

Car is hard to start. Dealer claims it is from old gas and sitting without being ran. It was 104 degrees outside today and the thing still acted like my 250 motorcycle in the winter.

Also, the car has no get up and go. Acceleration is very slow and I had to go down to third gear just to make it up an unimpressive hill.

I can’t post a direct link but this page has it front and center:

http://garciamotors.net/

The car is beautful but it seems like I’m going to have to spend at least $1,000 to get it where it needs to be. The dealer absolutely refused to come down on the price. I’d love to have the car but I suspect the price is just way too high. If you guys think I should walk then I will.

Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks for your help!

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Can’t say for sure about what motor is in it. Not even sure if the photo of the motor is the one that’s installed in the car. It’s definitely not an air-cooled VW motorr.

From what I can see…the windshield doesn’t appear to be on backwards but it’s missing a wiper. The right fender is missing the side view mirror and the left one is there. The condition of the body looks top be okay. I’m not as familiar with the Migi as some others here are so they’ll give a better rundown. Somehow, at least to me, this car looks like is has some issues and the dealer is hoping to make a few fast bucks. Now over to our more knowledgable Migi owners.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Tyler
    Participant

@london

The windshield was definitely on backwards- the brackets for the side windows were facing outwards and would not rotate all the way where they would need to be. Forgot about the windshield wiper!

And I that’s definately not the motor I saw. It was a four cylinder, four speed VW. The gas pedal had to be pumped quite a few times before the car would start “Because of the carburetor” according to the staff. It also had a habit of dying when one’s foot was taken off the accelerator.

Thanks for your help. I’m kind of obsessed with how cool the car is- but I need to know what I’m getting myself into; especially considering I’m not much of a “Car guy.” I am very mechanically inclined but my specialty is customizing firearms. I’m sure I’d do well on most things with a good Chiltons or Haynes.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Bentley is the best manual for VW chassis TDs. That and John Muir’s “How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive” book. Some other questions. Was the motor in the rear of the car? Any idea what year it is? How’s it registered? Lots of things to check on. Look in this forum under My Projects tab. In there you’ll see Manufacturer’s Comparisons. That’s also a good place to start. I’m sure the Migi folks will chime in here shortly.

Allen Caron

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

The motor in the pic is definitely not that MiGi.

$2500, tops.

A good running example is $3,500 to $4,500. So he’s priced on the high side for a car with few or no issues.

This TD needs work.

She will need engine work, maybe trans, brakes for sure.

Tires, interior love, some re-building (windshield, etc.)

Probably electrical and probably suspension.

Even with your own labor you’ll have another $3k in her before you blink, and that’s assuming the engine is a runner with minor issues, not a slug that needs replacement.

If it were me I’d tell him $1,500 and go away. Leave your phone number, and wait for a call. Settle it at $2k, a little more if you’re really in love.

Otherwise, keep looking. They’re out there.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi London. Welcome to the group.

I’d go even further than Ed….

I would pass on this car. It looks like it has LOTS of issues.

There have been a few pretty nice TD replicas on ebay lately, in better condition, at better prices.

And just for what it’s worth…maybe it’s an oversight that the dealer posted an incorrect engine picture. But the key word there is maybe. The more cynical part of me thinks “intentionally misleading”

PMOSSBERG40777.8842476852

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

You don’t mention your level of skill or if you just want a driver.

If I wanted a re-do project and wasn’t in a hurry to drive, I wouldn’t go higher than $2,250 at the most. 

In the end,  “you buys your ticket and you takes your ride.”

Tyler
    Participant

@london

How very dissapointing. I love the car but I’m not stupid in love. But damn- I got bit by the bug BAD.

Thanks for your sage wisdom, everybody. I’m still gonna stay on the forums, probably lurking since I don’t even own a TD replica yet. But I just have to own one so I might as well familiarize myself with it now.

Again, thanks for helping out a stranger; you guys saved me a lot of money and hassle! Definitely a bunch of cool dudes.

P.S. If anyone around San Antonio, TX knows of a running replica for sale let me know!london40777.9040856482

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

No need to lurk! You can be as active as any of us!

Not all of us have a car. There are car-seekers here too.

Your TD is out there. Just be patient!

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Tyler
    Participant

@london

By the way, Edsnova- I never mentioned how bad the brakes were. How in the world did you know that?

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

London,

At the risk of being even more negative than the above comments, there are projects that almost have to be free to be worth taking on. This is one of them. Sadly, you can buy complete TDs for $3k – $5k. This one has problems with the engine, brakes, body, dashboard, bumpers, accessories, top . . . have you priced a complete top? It sounds as if the car was partially finished and then parked. The dealer found it, started the engine, installed the windshield and is trying to sell it as is to someone with stars in their eyes. This is a parts car. Anyone who knows about TD replicas won’t touch it for the asking price. The car will sit on the lot. Offer the dealer $500 when he want’s it to go away. If he calls, you have something to work on. You will still have $3k – $5k in it when you are done.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

How did I know about the brakes? Experience, sir! I paid $3500 for Bridget about two years ago. Still working on the brakes. If I had it to start over I’d do the whole job all at once–replace everything from the master cylinder to the linings (maybe not the drums though).

Old cars, even when not driven (actually, especially when not driven) are subject to the law of entropy. Things fall apart.

It’s been totally worth it though. Major fun turning wrenches again after a long hiatus, and the car gets near-universal love. I was jamming down main street getting on the highway a couple weeks ago and a guy with a chrome bumper B was behind me. Beautiful car, wire wheels, just pristine. He pulls up along side me to pass, looks at me and yells out “That is beautiful!”

Happens all the time.

Tyler
    Participant

@london

Oh, yeah- I don’t think there as a single head that didn’t turn when I was test driving. Not that I care about attention but it does demonstrate the extreme beauty of the car.

I think I’ll email the dealer a copy of the URL for this page and tell him to call me when he wants to get rid of it. He was extremely adamant about the price and claimed he was just trying to break even at that point. My girlfriend who was there told me she talked to him and he said if it didn’t sell soon he’d just keep it for his collection. I looked at her and said, “He can keep it.”

It was one of those dissapointments you feel in your heart but I suppose its all for the best.

By the way, what kind of insurance rates do you guys think I’d pay on this thing? I’m a 27 year old military vet with a clean driving record living outside of San Antonio, TX in the country. Would I tell the insurance company it’s a 74 Migi or a 74 VW?london40778.6295138889

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

It’s a kit car. Insurance is going to be $100 to $300, but probably with limited driving (no driving to work, etc.) Check the forum; there’s a lot to know about the difference between “agreed value” and “stated value.”

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Here’s a nice TD on ebay. Also a red one listed just above it for 1K less. Both are in way better shape than the one in your 1st post.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Replica-Kit-Makes-TD-1952-MGT D-HAND-BUILT-AND-ALL-RESTORED-/220838564314?pt=US_Cars_Truck s&hash=item336b0111da

Allen Caron

Tyler
    Participant

@london

I will have to save my pennies! So far I have a mere $1500 to throw at a MIGI, hence my attempted purchase from a dealership.

I know- some of you guys must be thinking that is a rather small down payment; but I’m excellent at bartering. I once got a guy down from $8,000 to $4,000 for a Jeep because I paid in cash. If I don’t get a price I like then I find someone else. Call me heartless but I don’t lose any sleep at night for low-balling used car salesman.

Besides, I prefer seeing them in person. Too many eBay dissapointments have taught me the value of “Up, close, and personal.”

$300 a month is pretty high for insurance considering I only pay $100 a YEAR for my motorcycle and ride it everywhere!london40778.6539699074

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Don’t worry, collector car insurance will only be about a $100 a year, give or take a few pennies.

It’s a bitpremature since you don’t have a car yet. But there is a ton  of info and company references in this thread:

https://tdreplica.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=536&P N=2

PMOSSBERG40778.7019560185

Paul Mossberg

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.