Need dashboard

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Need dashboard

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Wendy Wagner
    Participant

@wendy

Hi gang,

I am looking for a replacement for my old dashboard.  I have a 1980 Duchess Classic Roadster – 1953 MG-TD replica.  It has 2 large guages on the left, 2 small guages in the middle with a dash light under them and 4 knobs under the light for lights, wiper, etc.

Thanks, Wendy in Orlando

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Do you still have the old dash? Classic Roadsters TDs were not exactly like others. Your best bet may be to have a wood dash cut to fit. The general shape is easy to trace from the fiberglass cowl. The mating edge on the reverse side needs to be routed out to fit the lip of the fiberglass cowl.

You might try contacting Class Roadsters directly. But they no longer make the Duchess and will probably tell you they have no way to help you.

Classic Roadsters II

39342 County Rd. 185, Dept. KC
    Sauk Centre, MN 56378
    (888) 722-6272

http://www.classicroadsters.com/

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Wendy Wagner
    Participant

@wendy

Thanks Paul,

Pete at Classic Roadster said he did have a walnut and oak dash for the 1980 Duchess.  He is looking to see if he has any unfinished ones.  Actually, the person restoring my car for me said he’d rather find someone to do as you are saying so we can put bigger guages in and put in different places.  How did you find a wood working person to do this??

Let me ask you something else.  I have only driven the car one time at night.  Oddly, the plastic covers on the directional signal lights on top of the fenders bubbled up from melting.  Have you ever heard of this?  I don’t know if the previous owner put the wrong bulbs in that were too strong or could wiring cause that.  I don’t believe they were like that when I bought the car.  Very strange!

M Watson
    Participant

@m-watson

Hey Wendy, my turn signal lens did the same thing before I got my car..could be wrong plastic or wrong bulb.  I wonder if the glass one had any problems or were the originals plastic that were 6 volt or something?  Anyway, if you find a source other than Moss, let us all know….happy motoring and cheers

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Wendy,

Not sure about the woodworking guy. But I would start by looking under Cabinet maker or something similar in the yellow pages.

Your turn signal/running light problem sounds like the wrong bulb. I’ve never had a problem…and my Duchess has been on the road for 24 years. It does not sound like a wiring problem. I’ll check the bulb number…but think it’s a standard yellow dual filament bulb. #1157 I think.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Luigi De Maio
    Participant

@luigi

Dear Wendy

I just received that parts list via e-mail from MG Magic.  Itv
    appears that they have both plywood unfinished and walnut finished
    dashboards.  Please give them a try.  Brad there is very
    helpful,  Arm youself with the number of your car which can be
    found under the front hood on the fire wall.  He’ll then be able
    to tell you everything about the car and select a dashboard for
    you.  Best of luck

Luigi

garycoughlin@yahoo.com
    Participant

@garycoughlin

Wendy  I live in Plant City and my wife and I go to Old Town about once a month.  I also needed a dash made.  My neighbor made it.

Guests
    Participant

@guests

I too and looking for a wood dash for my Fiberfab MG-TD. Plus I need a left rear fender. Anyone know where to get these pieces?

Keith True
    Participant

@keith-true

MG Magic in FLA still has them listed.No website,but the phone number can be found in a dozen places if you look around this site.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.