Need new speedo – ” Vintage Reproduction ” WTB

Home Forums General Discussion Need new speedo – ” Vintage Reproduction ” WTB

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Guy & Gals,

It seems my Vintage Reproduction Speedo has bitten the dust and I need a matching replacement for the rest of the gauges in my TDR. It is the type that came with many Fiberfab and CMC  kits 20 plus years ago. It is white faced with a stainless rim ( but could be a crackled black that I can remove ) and says as above – Vintage and at the bottom Reproduction.

It is about 3 5/8″ to 3 3/4″ wide. If i can remember how to post a picture I will try posting one of my old broken unit.

Please check your old stock and cabinets if you have one to spare.  PM me and we can talk off line and trade photos and pricing.

Thanks for your help

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Anyone out there know where one might be hiding?

Let me know,

Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, there is a company who still selling them. Check in this site in vendors section you check third website and order it.

good luck

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry, it’s under section “library”

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Thanks

I will give them a call to see if they have one – don’t see one on the web site but maybe they have a few loose speedo’s

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Brad at MG Magic says he does not think he has one but said he would take a look at his old stock and get back to me but no luck so far.

Anyone else have one sitting in a parts box?

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Still looking

Toller
    Participant

@toller

Dale
    Assuming you are using a cable driven VW type of speedometer can you not just cannibalize a VW speedo and transplant the components into your defective one. Have read on either this forum or Speedster one that there is an outfit in US that can do repairs/transplants but have not bookmarked site as I use a GPS speedo. Ed is active on the Speedster site so he may be able to find it faster than I can

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

David

Good to hear from you.

I had not thought of just replacing the cable tie-in area. I may have a VW speedo around here someplace and now have a backup plan. Not sure if the innards are the same but I guess I can find out. It looks like I have to pry the metal edge of the face back to open it up.

The repair places charge as much for repairing a speedo as buying a whole set of lower end gauges so will do that as a last resort.

I really think there is a speedo out there someplace as thousands were made – hopefully one shows up shortly.

Thanks

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Well I was able to temp fix it and put a new cable in but still looking for a replacement – let me know if you see one.

Thanks

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

There are two good VDO rebuild places in CA, Palo Alto Speedometer and North Hollywood Speedometer. They specialize in Porsche gauges. Both are run by cats named Helmut and both do very good work for very much money. My guess is, if Shu could get either of them to take the job, they would take about three months and $600. He’d end up with the best damn TDr speedometer ever.

I don’t see it happening.

For more work but a lil’ less money he could do what I did: buy a late Bug speedo, get a White Gauges stick-on face for it, Sharpie the needle, install a new, chrome trim ring and cut the hole in his dash a lil bigger to fit it up. A 5-inch tach from Classic Instruments finishes off the look nicely.

Maybe better, he could buy the spare set of 356 gauges I have, and use just the speedo and tach as-is, after cutting bigger holes for them.

They’re dark green faced though so…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.