New in box Fibrefab TD

Home Forums Classifieds MGTD Kit Cars Unfinished New in box Fibrefab TD

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Keith True
    Participant

@keith-true

I have a new unbuilt Fibrefab TD kit.I have checked off the parts with the order sheet and it is complete as ordered.This is all new in boxes and crates,no damage to any of it.It was bought without carpets and door panels.Off white body,brown fenders,brown int,tan top,this is a kit for a Volkswagen.What is a new kit worth?

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Keith,

Even tougher to guess at this than at the value for a built car.

I’ll float a number for others on the list to shoot at. But first, I recommend you watch auction sites like Ebay for a while. More frequently than you might guess, you’ll see unbuilt kits auctioned off. Those selling prices will tell you a lot about what the market will bear.

My guess, a couple thousand.

Shoot away friends!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Keith True
    Participant

@keith-true

I probably would sell it for that without the grille shell.A local TD guy will give me $1000.for the new shell.He said while it may sound like a lot he has been looking for the right one for over two years.To correctly repair and replate his brass one he is looking at $1500.He would rather give me $1000.for my new-in-box brass one.He now has $1200.in two ebay specials that are no better than what he has.I yhave never found ebay to be much of a good price guide.I listed a Model A Ford a couple of times on there,It only got to $8500.or so.I listed it in Hemmings and got $16,500.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

You raise an excellent point Keith.

To the extent any kit includes reproduction parts (the grill in particular) the “original TD” market will often support a much higher price than the kit market. I was not sure if Fiberfab used an original style grill. Some kits have a shortened shell, done in fiberglass.

I agree a direct sale might go for a higher price. But forrsearching other sales, there’s no way to tell what a listing in Hemmings (r other classified ads) actually sold for. At least with the various on-line auction sites, you can see closing prices and have something to go on.

And of course, we can’t forget our own classified ads here on tdreplica.com. Not sure how many visitors we get. But the ads are free! 🙂

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Phil
    Participant

@phil

I bought my kit off ebay for just over $1000.  Assembly had been started but was then put in storage for 20 yrs.  It came without the donor car.

Phil 

Keith True
    Participant

@keith-true

I have located a glass grille shell for the car,so I may sell it without the original one.I really had no idea what to ask so I was trying to find out.I bought one of these cars running and driving for $2400.and another complete one that had sat out since 1983 for $700.I had to take both apart and reassemble a little better.The only real expense was tops,carpets,and all stainless hardware.I traded stuff for the new kit,thinking I would build the way I liked it,but I already have two of these,A Jaguar SS100 kitcar,five Model A Fords,15 or 20 tractors and bulldozers,three motorcycles,I just don”t need any more iron to keep garaged.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘New in box Fibrefab TD’ is closed to new replies.