New Member in Wisconsin

Home Forums Site Rules and Etiquette New Member in Wisconsin

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Paul Underwood
    Participant

@undy

Hi All,

I’m joining up just in case I buy one of these.  I owned a Classic Grand Duchess that I inherited from my Mom, but I sold it several years ago.  My kid still hasn’t forgiven me.  Now, I’ve found a Fiberfab kit, never assembled, and I’m considering picking it up.
    I rebuilt a Cj5 Jeep a few years ago, with a glass body, 350 sbc, etc., so I have somewhat of an idea of what I may be biting off.
    So, here we go…:D
    Regards,
    Paul
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Welcome aboard Paul!

Your Duchess was manufactured by Classic Roadsters Ltd., not “Classic.”
    They were in Fargo ND. Great cars!

Look forward to following the new build!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Underwood
    Participant

@undy

Hi Paul,

Yes, you are correct.  I was being lazy when I wrote that.
    When I found this one, I initially thought it was the same brand.  My memory had escaped me, but I discovered that they were different from a short search.  I have some questions about this car, but it’s probably more appropriate that I put them in a different sub-forum.  It’s raining out, so I guess now’s the time…
    greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

welcome

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Ask  away Paul.

You’ll find lots of friendly and knowledgeable people here!

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Welcome aboard!

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Hi Paul and welcome aboard. We have a couple of things in common. I left Wisconsin and came to middle Georgia due to work. And I too purchased an unbuilt Fiberfab kit. Hopefully your kit is complete. Mine was not and was started by the original owner. I’ve had to correct his mistakes and some of my own. If you have questions, ask away. There are several folks in various stages of their own build and I doubt you’ll come across a better bunch of folks than those here. Where in Wisconsin are you located? I lived in the Beloit/Janesville area. Oh and…..Go Badgers!!!!  🙂
    newkitman2015-03-29 19:48:29

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Good to meet you Paul.

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Welcome Paul
    I own a Duchess and it was love at first sight! Just a thought, every car my Father passed to me amazed me with the value long after I sold it cheap. I still wake up screaming over the 1969 Mustang Fastback I bought from him and then sold it for… Wait for it!!! $2,000.00! When I saw one sell at Berret Jackson for over six figures I was sick for a week! The last car my Father passed on to me was after his passing in 2008…It is a 1994 Ford explorer and lets just leave it at that. Ive been drinking over it since. Im sure my Father is up there laughing his wings off every time I start it. I think its his own revenge for selling his Mustang. Did I tell you that she came with a 429 Cleavland?
    My name is Rick and Im the village idiot…I welcome you to our club!

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Welcome.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

And a welcome from a month old forum member!

When reading that you were getting a Fiberfab in Wisconsin I didn’t think much about what I had read elsewhere about Fiberfab being bought by Classic Motor Coaches back in 1982(?), then I saw what newkitman said regarding incomplete kits so thought I would mention that consumers had a lawsuit against the company because of missing parts or very long delays in getting them.
    Hopefully you can check on the manufacture date and/or a parts list.
    Of course, I know next to nothing of what’s involved with all that. Only what I happened to find out when trying to learn something about Fiberfab after I already started the process of buying my already finished car. Got to wonder if those kits are out there without a certainty of being able to actually finish building them.
    Someone here at tdreplica would know before I would anyhow, so don’t mean to scare you away from a potentially good thing!
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Pretty sure it was Florida based Classic Motor Carriages (the Gazelle company) that bought FiberFab. The company was sued, by customers and by the state and eventually put out of business. But resurfaced as “Street Beasts” and a number of other guises.

They also bought Classic Roadsters Ltd. away from founder Gary Rutherford. After seeing what CMC was doign, Gary eventually bought his company back. But the damage had been done. And Classic Roadsters Ltd. never fully recovered.

The CMC guys were simply evil.

Paul Mossberg

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

My kit was incomplete but not due to the manufacturer. Prior to my purchasing it, there was a wet spring up in the Atlanta area and the owner of the kit had the kit in his basement which flooded. He thought the wiring harness, carpet and seat foam were ruined so he threw them out. Along with a bag of hardware. I had read about the Manufacturer Statement of Origin (MSO) and managed to get a letter of authenticity verifying that my kit is a FiberFab kit and had all the particulars. So at this point, I’m a happy camper! My advice to those building a kit is to keep your eyes focused on the goal of completion and driving your TDR. And enjoy the build and the experience.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Underwood
    Participant

@undy

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.  Sometimes the world changes on you, and it did for me.  The kit was sold before I could get it.  !!  

But I’m looking at it from the perspective that maybe it was meant to be that way.  I have too many cars now, as it is, so my wife is still happy.  This saves me from working for the next several months to build it, so it’s sort of like getting some extra time.  Etc. Etc.

But darn.
    So I’ll keep on searching.
    Secretagentcat, 
    I think the takeaway is that we should never sell any vehicle that we get from our Dad.  🙂
    Cheers
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.