New Member Intro

Home Forums General Discussion New Member Intro

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Well done. But I wonder how it was an inch off to start with. Any clues?

Mickey Richaud
    Participant

@mickeyrichaud

Thanks, Ed.  Only thing I can think of is that the triangular “towers” for the front engine mounts were welded in the wrong spot.  The MGB motor mounts bolt directly onto them, and there’s no wiggle room there.  I assume the factory used jigs for building their frames, so at first blush it seems unlikely they’d make that mistake.  But I really can’t figure any other possibility.  I’m going to try to get some measurements from other Victor owners, but not quite sure we can do anything other than what we did to make it all fit.  And since Victor is long out of business, there’s no way to get any info from them.

Always an adventure!

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Sorry to be late welcoming you to the forum.  I just missed the posting since I was focused on the V8 build and my project.  Anyway, welcome.  As has been mentioned, you have a great project.  The TF is really a stunning car and in plastic it is even better.

1986 British Coach Works Type 52 (Sammy)
    Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

Mickey Richaud
    Participant

@mickeyrichaud

Thanks for the welcome!  I was a bit hesitant posting here, as the Victor is a bit of an oddball (kinda like me…).

I notice you’re installing a 3.4 and T5 – great combination!  I have them in a ’69 MGB GT and it’s a perfect package.  I considered doing the TF likewise, but thought it overkill.  Plus, I wanted to keep it all MG, and the frame was designed for the MGB drivetrain.

Here’s a write-up of the GT with pictures:   http://www.britishv8.org/MG/MickeyRichaud.htm

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Just checked out the MGBGT build photos. That is one sweet ride. Congratulations. Good luck with the T series.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Mickey Richaud
    Participant

@mickeyrichaud

Thanks, Bill.  It really is well-balanced, with just enough performance for me, and room for us and our “stuff” on trips.  And the A/C is a treat in the summer!

Mickey Richaud
    Participant

@mickeyrichaud

Wow!  Been a while since I’ve posted, and for that I apologize.  I have visited this forum for inspiration, though, and for that I thank all of you!

Though slow, I’m getting there. Had MUCHAS problemas! Not even sure where to start, but here are a couple of pictures to show where I am now.

The grill is finally done and on the car. This thing came with the grill shell and the slats, but no mounting brackets for the slats. The shell was in pretty nice shape, but the slats’ chrome had pitted and needed replating. I had a lot of stiff plated, but the slats were going to cost $90 each (!!!), so I had the platers simply strip them, as they are solid extruded aluminum, and I was pretty sure I could polish them up and then clear coat ’em. Some of the pitting went into the aluminum, so while they’re not pristine, they’ll have to do for now. The mounting brackets were a challenge. I have a friend who’s retired from a metal fab company and still has access to their CAD equipment and machinery. Found a pattern for the upper and lower brackets, but for the original TF grill and slats, which are a bit different from the Victor. We were able to modify them, though the spacing is just a bit off. Again, it’ll do for now. Thinking about stainless steel mesh, but that’s down the road, if I decide to pursue it all.

Interior. SHEESH! OK, the Victor came with a complete black interior – seats, panels, and carpet. I wasn’t thrilled with that, and found a green leather kit on eBay – seats, panels, piping, hidem strips (they cover the screws used to install the panels), and even a pretty large piece of matching bulk green leather. The plan was to install the complete green interior – believe I may have reported on that earlier. And use the black carpet. Anyway, I installed the door panels without too much trouble. But when I tried to install the rear quarter panels and the kick panels, they didn’t line up.  (Imagine that!)  The quarter panels were close, but a bit too large. The kick panels were way off. And the wheel arch covers were too short. All the black interior bits fit quite well, so I considered taking the green leather off the panels and fitting them on the other panels, but they were so far off that it wasn’t a viable option. I decided to use the black panels, but I wanted more green than just the seats. So, I removed the black hidem strips which were already sewn in to the black panels, and stapled the green hidem strips in their place. Again, not my first choice, but I think it’ll grow on me.

Got the door latches lined up nicely (another fun job!), and had to do some “massaging” to do so. Also had to do the same for the wheel arch covers. Carpeting is in, but not yet permanent. Have to cut a hole in the vinyl for the shift lever. Also have to get some more insulation for the firewall area.

Gas tank is in and plumbed. Fuel sending unit in and working. All gauges working properly.  The engine is running quite well, and I’ve shifted through all the gears while it’s running and up on jack stands. No discernible issues with the transmission or clutch, so that box is checked. Brakes seem to be working well, also. While I’ve said that I don’t have a time frame for completion, I have to admit I’m getting a bit antsy.

Left to do: Source glass for the windshield, and assemble and install it.  Have to fabricate anchors for the brake and clutch pedal return springs. Install and wire horns and fog lights. And probably another couple dozen items. But it’s close!

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I owned a “real” MGTF-1500 for 15 years and will say your replica is very nice.  Never did like the gauge layout in the real ones.  Excellent job.

Mickey Richaud
    Participant

@mickeyrichaud

Thanks, Royal.  This has been quite a challenge, but even with the frustration I’m enjoying the process.  Guess it’s the masochist in me!

With the MGB engine and transmission, including overdrive on third and fourth gears, and weighing 500-600 lbs. less than a B, this ought to be a blast to drive.  Can’t wait to get it out on the roads around here, especially the newly opened portion of the Foothills Parkway.  And the Dragon!

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Good to see you back, Mick. Here’s a deadline for you: in the fall some of the Speedster and Spyder people do a Dragon+ weekend. It’d be great if you could make that.

Or! Any chance you could be up and running in May? We’d love to see this contraption at the Carlisle show.

As for all those little details that seem to eat up time: yeah. building cars is fun, don’t ever let anyone tell ya different.

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

I like the interior.  Nice touches.

Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

Mickey Richaud
    Participant

@mickeyrichaud

Good to see you back, Mick. Here’s a deadline for you: in the fall some of the Speedster and Spyder people do a Dragon+ weekend. It’d be great if you could make that. Or! Any chance you could be up and running in May? We’d love to see this contraption at the Carlisle show. As for all those little details that seem to eat up time: yeah. building cars is fun, don’t ever let anyone tell ya different.

Thanks, Ed.  I made an early decision not to impose a timeline on myself for this, but our local British car club has its annual show the second Saturday in May, so I’ll probably aim for that, as it’s doable at this point.  Never been to Carlisle, so maybe…

And a run at the Dragon in the fall would be great!

Mickey Richaud
    Participant

@mickeyrichaud

I like the interior. Nice touches.

Thanks!  It is growing on me.

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Instead of a 3.4 I went with a 2.8 that a friend had just rebuilt.  Also, crate 3.4 is no longer available.  Anyway, I have some hesitation with my 390 holley.  Do you remember what jets and what accel pump you have in your 390?  Thanks.

Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

Mickey Richaud
    Participant

@mickeyrichaud

Instead of a 3.4 I went with a 2.8 that a friend had just rebuilt. Also, crate 3.4 is no longer available. Anyway, I have some hesitation with my 390 holley. Do you remember what jets and what accel pump you have in your 390? Thanks.

Will check tomorrow morning.  Best to continue via email?  mjrichaud @ gmail.com  If so, please send me a note so I can respond in kind tomorrow.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.