New Member with a 1982 London Roadster

Home Forums Site Membership New Member with a 1982 London Roadster

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Houser
    Keymaster

@stephenhouser

Hello fellow TDr owners and want-to-be owners,

My name is Stephen. I’ve been lurking in the background and reading for a few weeks as I’ve been pondering fixing my out of service 1982 London Roadster. The turning point being this past Sunday when, on a whim, searched cragslist for a new engine and found one inexpensive and local. Now it’s in my garage, staring at me every evening when I arrive home.

My mother bought the Roadster new in southern Florida way back in ’82 and I inherited it from her in the mid-90’s and moved it to Maine with me. It was (and still is) in need of some TLC. I replaced the floor pans in the early 2000’s and did some minor body and mechanical work. Not having a garage at the time combined with not really knowing what I was doing was fun but a bit difficult. Sometime around 2005 or so the engine started becoming a real problem, just would never run right. Out it came and there it sits to this day.

I was happy to find this community of VW-based TD replicas that did not seem to exist back then — or at least it was harder to find. I’m also happy to see some more adept gear heads (used in the most complementary form) that have found better ways of doing things since then. For example taking out those sand bags and properly adjusting the front end suspension. Plus, as a “techy” fellow, replacing the lights with LED’s really strikes my fancy.

I’m looking forward to what I hope to be a summer project in getting the Roadster back on the road, looking forward to talking with the folks here and doing a better job at it than I could without you, and finally looking forward to learning about your replicas and seeing your work.

On to some details…

What:
    1982 London Roadster VW-based
    1600cc dual port engine (the new; rebuilt one)

Where:
    Southern Maine

Plans:
    Replace Engine w/1600cc one (rebuild old one as spare)
    Check/repair brakes (there were a problem 10+ years ago)
    Adjust suspension, remove sand bags (as above)
    Change to LED lighting (internal and external)
    Replace dashboard and make new undercover (whatever you call that)
    Repaint (fellow I bought the engine from is a fiberglass/paint person at local high-end boat builder)
    Fix chrome (rust spots everywhere)
    Replace body trim (missing in photo)
    Check and update wiring where needed (with LED changes)
    Add Tachometer and oil pressure/temp gauges (none on it now)

Why:
    Because it’s fun.

Buxton, Maine
    1982 London Roadster - "Kit Kat"

Mike Schumacher
    Participant

@juneybug

not really knowing what I was doing was fun but a bit difficult.

Me too. Happily there are all sorts here who do, and if you search the forums carefully you’ll agree every piece of info you need is here. But if you can’t find something you’ll be directed to a thread or given fresh info. If you haven’t found it yet another great source of VW related info is thesamba.com.

I found an unassembled kit and have come to realize without these two sites my son would inherit pieces of fiberglass and rusty VW parts. He may still but they will be organized.

Welcome and Best regards Mike

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Welcome, Stephen! You have quite a list there, but it also looks like you have a good foundation to build on. You’ve found the best place on the Web for advice, ideas and encouragement. Best of luck!

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Stephen
    Welcome to the club. I joined about a month ago and am so glad I did. The members here are both friendly and a wealth of knowledge I think youll like it here.
    You have a great looking car and i cant wait to hear that its running and back on the road where it belongs. Have fun!

Dana Gibbs
    Participant

@danag

Welcome Stephen. I too am a newbie. I am getting so much helpful info here. Everyone very helpful. I like your pic. Unfortunatly I cannot seem to post pic’s of my TD. Evidently I am not very good at computors as well. But I will keep trying.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Welcome aboard Stephen!

I love all the early replies from self-proclaimed newbies! It’s like the next generation taking over! (no…I’m not a newbie) 

You are definitely in the right place.

Mike is right. There is a ton of info here if you search for it. But don’t be afraid to ask, and ask again! Searching isn’t always easy.

And for the record, your mom must have been the coolest mom in the neighborhood. I’m pretty darn sure this is the first TDr inherited from mom, and not dad!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Welcome, Steve. We’ll do everything we can to get you up and running–and hope to see you next May in Carlisle, PA. 

If you want, I have a spare 3 3/8-inch (plus or minus) Classic Instruments tachometer. Still in box. It’s this one except 8,000 rpm instead of 10. Let me know if you have any interest.
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Welcome… enjoy

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

I am a London roadster owner also. Love the car. Learning a lot from the people on here. Your car was made in a factory in Inkster Michigan . not a lot of info on it                            

Stephen Houser
    Keymaster

@stephenhouser

I’ll make sure to compliment my mother on being the cool one, she’s visiting this weekend for my niece’s graduation. I’m sure she will be happy to see the new engine too.

As she was the original owner, I’ve got some of the paperwork buried here somewhere. I’ll look for it and post what I have if it helps the club/community any. There wasn’t a lot, a few brochures, an owner’s manual of some sort is what I recall. Yes, Inkster Michigan all over them.

Yes it is quite a list of potential projects. Wish I had read the thread on gel coat refinishing before I had it painted. They did not do as good a job as I would have liked. You get what you pay for. Oh well.

Interested on suggestions on where to start; tear it completely down and fix it on the way back up or get the motor in and drivable and then fix as I go. Not really wanting to get stuck in the woods with a broken car. The walk out of the Maine woods can be long one.

Thank you all for the hearty welcomes! Here’s another picture from 2004 when my son was a lot smaller.

Stephen

stephenhouser2014-06-06 07:06:57

Buxton, Maine

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Imho, any car that’s drivable ought to be driven, especially in Maine in the summer. Put in the engine and go. But don’t go too far too fast before you check/get tires. If they date to the last Presidential administration then replace them right away.

Run them with much less air than you think they should have–16 front and 24 in the back, give or take a few. 
    Get the beam adjusters (or the whole adjustable beam) and do that job, maybe with disk brakes, first thing in the fall. 
    These changes will make you want to actually drive the car, as opposed to just wanting to be seen in it.
    From there it’s all butter and juice boxes. Do the dashboard wiring and instruments the next winter, and so on. You’ll think of many things you could or might do to make her prettier. 

BTW, when you get around to the chrome, please post detailed descriptions of the place you send the parts to, and the prices they charge and the job they do. I’ve pretty much given up on rechroming & would love to have my faith restored.

edsnova2014-06-06 07:28:42

Royal
    Participant

@royal

as HappyJack would tell you, I try to prioritize my TDr projects into two major categories: miserable summer weather projects and then winter projects.  This is to try and maximize driving time and minimize TDr down time during beautiful days.

Accordingly, I’d suggest installing engine & fixing brakes…..Then drive it, a lot, and your list of projects will change.  
    You might want to consider putting disc brakes on the front (I got mine from SoCal for about $200).  If you are facing drum work, cylinder replacement, and shoes, the cost difference is even less.)  Discs are a quick easy install that are certainly worth it on hilly roads.
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

and of course have AAA 🙂

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

“From there it’s all butter and juice boxes.”

How does Ed come up with this stuff?

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I’m with the “drive it now” group. Also, John is right…AAA all the way. I was in Maine last year. Roy is right in recommending the disc brakes. Too many winding hilly roads to overheat the drum brake setup. But, overall, just enjoy it.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

From there it’s all binge drunks and cafeteria food.

Steve Struchen
    Participant

@mustang_evets

It sounds like he writes for a living doesn’t it?

Stephen Houser
    Keymaster

@stephenhouser

It seems like the prevailing suggestion is to get the engine in and get her on the road. Yes, Maine summers are short, but with an un-heated garage summer is when I can work out there without freezing! Regardless, to that end I think I’ll keep the immediate project list short and to the point, body on. Breaking it down into short, mid, and long-term, here’s my working list…

Short-term (make it drivable)
    – Engine; get it in and tuned, replace missing tins
    – Tires; yes they are older than the current president, older than my kids even 🙂
    – Brakes; need to pull these apart and see what I have. I like the disc replacement suggestion.

Mid-term (make it comfortable)
    – Front End; install adjustable beam; remove sand bags
    – Dashboard; LED lit, new components, etc.
    – Lights, Wiring; LED

Long-term (make it fun)
    – Paint and trim
    – Chrome; I’m starting to look for a local chrome-shop
    – Rebuild the old engine for a spare 🙂

As you might suspect, I like to tinker as much as actually use things, so half the fun is the rebuilding and fixing things for me. Not to undervalue how much fun this car was to drive when it was (mostly) working nearly 10 years ago, but cleaning up the garage just to get ready to work on the car this weekend was the most fun I’ve had in a while. I constantly kept sneaking a glance at the car in the corner, under the fabric cover, thinking about the work ahead. Smiles all weekend long.

…butter and juice boxes? I could take butter and pancakes, but not juice boxes, the straws always squirt at me, I don’t want my car squirting at me. Maybe even butter and lemonade, or butter and sausage… juice boxes? 🙂

Also, thank you for the offer on the tachometer. I’ll have to figure out what the other instruments will look like before going off and buying parts and pieces though. I want them all to coordinate and have not yet done any research on them yet. Curious how much or how far towards authentic MG I can or should go. Your (collective) thoughts?

Stephen

Buxton, Maine

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Stephen

Great to read about the progress.  I’m currently in the middle of rewireing Eliza Jane and I had a blast this Saturday working bumper to bumper on her.  I too am looking at new guages and will replace the old wooden dashboard, guages, and steering wheel.  It’s funny how when you start on one project other items will jump up and say “ME TOO, I WANT TO GET REPLACED!” It’s like car parts are like children competing for attention.

I didn’t like the look of the VW steering column with the ignition and switches on the column.  I pulled it out and will replace it with a standard steering rod and will put the new ignition switch on the dash along with a home-made toggle switch for the turn signals.

I’m thinking of replacing the wooden dash with aluminum.  I found a supplier and a shop that will water jet a replacement.  I can then either powder coat it, cover it with vynal, or I’m even thinking of covering it with a custom wrap to look like expensive wood or something.

As far as the guages, I’m thinking of EMPI’s VDO Cockpit Royal Series Guages.  They’re on page 294 of the 2014 cataloge.  They look real nice and they’re not too expensive.  Also, SoCal Speed Shop has some nice guages to choose from.  MOON makes a set of guages filled with fluid and a floating bubble that looks real cool.

Finally, if you’re looking to have some more fun, I have a garage that will provide you with weeks of enjoyment sorting and it cleaned out.  Just let me know.  My wife’s been letting me hear about how much fun I’m in for for the past year or so.

Until then, keep the progress reports coming, I enjoy reading about fellow member’s projects in between my own time spent under the hood.
    Richard Shear
    Participant

@gbidick

Steven , Do you have a metal tube chassis or the volkswagon frame ? Factory built London Roadster’s had the tube chassis I believe.

Welcome to the group.

Dick

Stephen Houser
    Keymaster

@stephenhouser

Dick,

Sure looks like a VW frame. The tunnel seems unmistakeable. I had some brochures that showed the custom frame and always wondered if that was pure marketing fiction. which reminds me to go through all the old paperwork. As my mother was the original owner there might be something in there to add to the London Roadster research thread.

…I could always take a photo of the undercarriage. Any particular angle that might answer visually rather than words?

Stephen

Buxton, Maine

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Steve: No worries on the gauge. Just letting you know if you go that way.

I re-did mine a few years ago trying for the “authentic” look. Noticed that the stock ’72 Bug Speedo reads to the correct 100 mph, includes a totally usable fuel gauge (mine was dodgy), is close to the TD-correct 5 inches in diameter and could be retro-fitted with a white face and chrome trim ring. The rest is history.
    The tach I have to sell is the smaller, 3 3/8-inch version I bought by accident. Could save you some $$ if you end up replacing yours with the Classic Instruments ones of the same style.
    Now, about that other thing…

Warm, wise, old-time figures of speech don???t just happen, you know. Someone???s gotta come up with them

More non-sequiter wisdoms:

From here on it???s all just

–duck-huntin??? & lady-smellin???

–midget-launching and Oreos

–pink bows and Jello pudding

–church music and hand grenades

–tax-cheatin??? and flingin??? your shoes

–tuna fish and bloodworms

–sister-slappin??? and clear blue water

–livestock & pig iron

I know. You???re probably asking yourself, BUT WHY?! 

Some years ago my brother-in-law amused his family by inventing randomized cracker-barrel type phrases and using them as if they were already cliches. In the middle of an argument he???s blurt out something like ???Don???t drywall me, mister!??? 

My wife caught on to it and so from time to time we get the giggles coming up with new ones and, sometimes, planning to deploy them relentlessly on, say, a cruise where no one knows us and everyone eats with different people each night. Oh, the funny, funny (and elaborate) plans we have! 

None of it ever comes to pass, of course, but years later I still think it???s funny enough that I do it almost reflexively, every so often. At some point I???ll start slipping them into my copy at work, and from there they will become ubiquitous, no doubt. And so.

Nothin??? left to do now but

–count up the money and piss in them barrels

–eat the tomato and vote like you stole it

–fart proudly and lie to the preacher

–poke the bat and ask God for a nickel

Again, most of the fun comes in putting them out there, during otherwise normal conversations, and then keeping a straight face. Or not.

I am sorry.

Stephen Houser
    Keymaster

@stephenhouser

Like peanut butter and moon rocks.

Buxton, Maine

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I have a couple but they’re waaaaay too gross.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Richard Shear
    Participant

@gbidick

Steven, My London Roadster has the steel tube chassis and is as solid as the day it was built. No rust and can be easily jacked up using the frame. Coil over shocks in the front and coil springs in the rear. From what I hear is that they didn’t make that many with the steel frames. They only made them from 1980 – 1988. Seems like most of the steel frame cars are owned by the London Roadster people on this site.

Dick

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.