New Third Brake Light

Home Forums General Discussion New Third Brake Light

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Gene
    Participant

@lostinidaho

Just put this together this morning.  I will take another picture when it gets dark.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Nicely done.

Gene
    Participant

@lostinidaho

Here is what it looks like at night.  It is quite bright.

I wasn’t sure how it would turn out putting a Chinese made replacement part for an antique American Ford on a modern car made in America based on a British made car sitting on top of a German design chassis made in Mexico.

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Just think — now you can put badges from China, the U.S., the U.K., Germany and Mexico on your grille!

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

doug schmidt
    Participant

@dougsgarage

Looks great, can you post a link to where you found it ? I’m getting ready to tow my project to the Nevada DMV to obtain a title and registration. Finally ! Two long years and lots of work. Would not like some distracted texting driver to rear end it. Images of ‘Vicki’ before and after. Nevada DMV folks seem to be very gracious in creating a new title for what was once a garage full of scattered parts.   Thanks

Gene
    Participant

@lostinidaho

Wow the body looks great on your car.  Did you have to do any repair work.  I have some gel issues.  Maybe next fall and winter I will get mine repainted 

I just got it the light on Ebay.  Its stainless steel so that is nice. I used the existing license plate light bracket.  It took a couple of hours of modification.  Just drill press and file work.  The stop light actually says “Stop”.  You can read it in real life.  I don’t know if that is good.  Someone might run into me trying to read “Stop” while chatting on their cell phone.

doug schmidt
    Participant

@dougsgarage

Thanks for the compliment , I have to give credit to the paint shop. I just use bondo to fill major holes and gouges. I modified the windshield support post by cutting off the ‘horns’ on the cowl and molding rounded surfaces that conform to the stanchion from an original TD. For areas that needed strength I use glass and resin. I figured it would get a complete sanding and paint over so I got bold and started cutting. Can’t wait to have it ID’ed and titled. Weather has been in the 70’s here in Vegas and want to hit the road.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Gene, the third stop light looks great. Does it also have a license plate light built in?

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Doug, your car looks great! Gotta be one of the best before and after pics posted here!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

doug schmidt
    Participant

@dougsgarage

Thanks, it was quite a learning experience. Whoever said instructions help but each car is it’s own journey was dead on. I’ve got lots of suggestions for folks stuck for a answer to a fix.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Two thumbs up, Doug!

Gene
    Participant

@lostinidaho

I am not very good at these MGTDr cars yet.  I didn’t even notice the fold down wind screen.  That is so awesome.  Break out the aviator goggles.

The rear tail light I put on has the licenses plate light.  The original Model A fords had one tail light with the license plate mounted beneath the light.  It was light through a clear glass lens at the bottom. 

The tail light has two bulbs one does the tail light/license plate.  The other bulb does the stop light
    If you order a light for the left side of the car you should get one with the license plate light.

The plan for this week it to paint the licence plate holder black, replace all the bolts with stainless steel.  Heat shrink tube all the exposed wire so they look better and are protected.   Hopefully reinstall for required Saturday drive.

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Here’s one I put in yesterday but kept the license plate light in place.

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Medicine Man
    Participant

@medicine-man

Doug,

Great looking wheels! What are they and where did you get them?

Thanks,

Andy

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

It’s a British Coach Works 1.6 liter GM front engined TD.  Got it from a woman in West Jersey who enjoyed it for a couple of years.  Emissions/EPA stickers under the hood mention a 1987 date.

Tom

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Great job all the way around!
    I am in awe of you guys who take on the challenge of making your own TDr’s.
    I don’t have the time, space and patience needed. That’s why I bought the one I did!:lol:
    Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Amor Conquista Todo

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Brilliant idea and the stop light looks great! Thanks for the great tip.

crash55
    Participant

@crash55

old school I
    old school I LOVE IT I hate 3rd brake lights I think it promotes tailgating but yours is right on
    love it
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.