Newb Intro

Home Forums General Discussion Newb Intro

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    George Bono
    Participant

@georgeb

Hello, from the Jersey shore, and no I’ve never watched the show! Smile A little about me, than the car. Spent 33 years as a helicopter mechanic , and the last 4 as maintanance supervisor. I am looking at finally retiring in the next 19 months after working for the Army, DOD and New Jersey National Guard for 39 years.

I just got a MG TD from my brother in Va.  who bought it in 2000, he has had it sitting for the last 8 years. I’m guessing sending 4 kids through college and 1 through med school has taken a toll on his fun car expences! I know nothing about kit cars except it was cool to drive when he first got it and I visited him so this will all be new stuff for me. My brother bought it from someone who built it and he didn’t have much info on it. Acording to the title Virginia calls it a 1988 Reconstructed vehicale. It has a VW engine and  I have no clue what year it is, there is no numbers on the case where they are suppose to be. I got it started after many hours pulling the carb apart and cleaning 8 year old gas/varnish out of it and drain and flush the fuel tank. But it still runs terriable, so when I tow it back home to jersey I’ll rebuild that. Can’t wait to pick everyones brains to find out what I’m in for and have fun in the process, thanks in advanced. Hopefully if i did this right theres a pic here to…

Jeff
    Participant

@jeffthornton

Well, Alright!!! Join the crowd. I am pretty much in the same Newb situation but feel that there is a great support group here.

WELCOME!

Richard Shear
    Participant

@gbidick

Welcome to the group

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Welcome, and congrats on your new “toy” — feel free to ask questions, we all do…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

The older we get the the bigger the toys . love it. I have family in Clifton, NJ maybe someday we will meet    

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Welcome aboard! I lived in Northern New Jersey for 16 years (Soprano country ;-))

This forum is great!!
    George Bono
    Participant

@georgeb

Thanks all for the warm welcome. For the members from Jersey I grew up in North Jersey and lived there until 2004. Some of the Soprano’s was filmed in the town I went to school. 😆 Already have a few questions but I’ll see if I can use the search to see if they were asked already..

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Welcome.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Welcome aboard!

My profile says Bath PA…  I may live there, but I am FROM New Jersey! 54 years, in Rahway, West Orange, and New Providence.

Jersey strong baby!

And may I add…party at GeorgeB’s LBI house! For those you unfortunate enough to NOT be from the great state of New Jersey…LBI  Long Beach Island!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

George Bono
    Participant

@georgeb

PMOSSBERG wrote:

And may I add…party at GeorgeB’s LBI house! For those you unfortunate enough to NOT be from the great state of New Jersey…LBI  Long Beach Island!

Only a true Jerseyite would invite everyone to someone else’s house for a meet and greet party before ever meeting them!! Thumbs Up

I grew up in Parsippany and lived in Lake Hopatcong for 24 years befor moving here!
    dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

To add my 2 cents. I lived in Fairlawn before moving to Upper Saddle River. Had an office in Parsippany and known Lake Hopatcong real well. I’m originally from the UK but now live in Pittsburgh. When asked where my accent is from (Cockney Jock) I  typically say New Jersey!

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

That was pretty funny George! Handshake

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Kelly
    Participant

@capt-k

New into the forum,

Hello from Puget Sound Washington.  I have just become the proud owner of one of these impressive replicas. I fell in love with the MGTD original when I was allowed to sit in one at my high school auto shop class(way back when ).  
    Spent most of my career working on the water and now looking at retirement and some day trips with this little beauty, already notice head turning as I pass by.
    Was brousing the internet a couple of months ago, saw a replicar for sale, felt attached immediately, flew to North Ca.rolina, and purchased it as soon as I saw it.  Like some of the posts that I have been reading, theres not much published materials to help with general maintenance.  Putting the shout out for any direction to get any information.  The registration has little information.  This little jewel is supposed to be a 1953 MGTD Allison “Daytona” replica built in 1984, in Florida.  It is somewhat unusual as what I’ve read, most are rear VW engines with standard transmissions, this one is a 4 cylinder diesel front end engine with a three speed automatic. 
    Would appreciate any feedback.
    Capt K
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

GeorgeB and Capt K, head on over to the car registry thread and add your info. (you can link to it from my signature)

Capt…there are three Allison owners registered here. You’ll find ’em in that same registry thread.

Paul Mossberg

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.