Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits newbie

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Patrick K Smith
    Participant

@mystic

Hello,

I bought a Daytona Migi off ebay from GA. It was supose to be ready to drive but far from it. All the electrical needs attention. Having a new dash made from Cherry. The pans are missing 2/3 rds of the floor. I am attempting a full restore frame off.

Patrick K Smith
    Participant

@mystic

I also posted pics in gallery

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Welcome aboard mystic

You’ll find lots of good people with great TD replica knowledge here!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Rust-schmust! These cars are fiberglass.

I like the color and the interior pattern on that car. Think you can save that?

I also like the offset in the running board for the rear torsion cap. Does that allow the cap to be removed–and the bars adjusted–without taking the body off the frame as is required on my car?

Good luck with your resto. We’ll all cheer you on, and two or three of us have actual helpful knowledge to offer.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Classic Roadsters and London Roadsters have that “bump out” that is over the torsion bars. It is molded into the fiberglass and is not removable.

I did not realize the Daytona Migi had the bump out too.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

If my memory is correct,which is highly questionable, London Roadster bought Daytona MiGi bodies to build their cars.There are several variations of LRs ,I’ve not actually seen one with the custom chassis. The LR in Red Hill’s gallery is the only one I’ve seen with the original MG grille. I’m still trying to figure that car out ,the front suspension is not VW, looking at the torision bar, but it does not look like the coil over type that LR used on their custom chassis .?????

Thomas
    Participant

@mindseyeblind

Larry…if you’re referring to the redhill two tone brown car, I think it is chevette or pinto in the front. We ran each other for several years at a fall car show in Michigan. Haven’t seen him for a number of years now and never traded phone numbers or email, don’t know if he is still in the area or has the car.  I remember it being unusual with that front end setup, but a very nice ride.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

According to the people in my VW club, best VW restoration stuff is available from Wolfsburg West.

IMHO, the best VW info is on http://www.thesamba.com

BEWARE of 90% of the VW aftermarket, most of it is Chinese crap that doesn’t work, fit or last.

If it’s an OEM VW part, try to get German made first. If it’s not available then Brazilian made second.

Patrick K Smith
    Participant

@mystic

I bought new floor pans from wolfsburg and they are wonderful. Now all I have to do is get the old ones out and the new ones in.

Pat

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

BugMe videos has a great DVD on floor pan replacement with the body on, body off or just partial pan replacement. Great investment for anyone working VWs or VW based cars.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.