Northern VA/DC/MD Carlisle Caravan 2016

Home Forums General Discussion Clubs and Show Northern VA/DC/MD Carlisle Caravan 2016

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

I am putting together a Caravan like last year including TDr guys and speedster buddies from northern Va up through DC/Md and on up to Carlisle on Thursday the 19th of May.

We meet at the Red Robin at 20001 Century Blvd Germantown Md. between 12:00 and 12:30 for lunch and head north to Carlisle to arrive around 3:30-4:00.
    Last year Happy jack towed his ride from N/C up to my house and we met some speedster guys in Falls Church and went up to lunch at the Red Robin where we met more friends.
    Please jump in if you want to meet along the way and join in the fun.
    Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Update:

It seems most of the speedster guys I usually meet in the DC area for our trip up north are not going this year or only coming up for one or two days. Because of this I think we will alter the course and head up to Carlisle on RT 15 via 234 off of 95 just south of Woodbridge and meet the rest of any possible crew in Frederick Md. for lunch – most likely around 12:30 – 1:00. I will update a little more as we get closer.
    At this point DBanta and Happy Jack can meet at my place and we will head up together Thursday morning.
    I am trying to get Jack to leave his security blanket ( tow truck ) at my place and drive his TDr along with Dean and myself. So give Jack a little encouragement/push to trust his car for about a 3 hour drive total I would guess. Things will shape up shortly. Anyone else want to join???    
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Def maybe. Will advise…

Jack: drive her! She’ll do fine & we won’t leave you stranded

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

DRIVE!!!   ALL DRIVE!!!

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Hey Shu/Ed/et al  

— there are some extenuating circumstances and risk factors that favor flat towing up vice driving my Tdr up to Carlisle.

1.  The car has a “just built” 1641 dual port engine — rebuilt by me and Royal in November and not totally checked out for long distance driving — nuf’ said……
    2.  The car has a home-made intake manifold with a center-mount Holley BugSpray carb…  We made the intake manifold by cutting up an old single  port manifold, adding some muffler pipe, & cobbling the whole thing to some dual port manifold ends….with lots of rubber fittings…..but it PERFORMS WELL WITH LOTS OF POWER….Go Figure!!  That Royal is pretty smart when it comes to “Frankenmanifolds” and “unique” carburetors in VW-based TDr’s.
    3.  And oh yea, we found that the air cleaner would not fit onto the new carburetor without cutting a hole in the rear deck.  So we added some hose and an air filter out of a snowmobile instead, as well as an antique, steel, 3 lb. Maxwell House coffee can to direct some hot air into the carb — (no preheat pipes on our rig). 
    I think a prudent person would enjoy the tow and cut out the risk of a long motoring journey in an untested car with a non-standard intake system. 
    So “Ho Ho Ho Ho it’s off to tow we go……”
    “Happy to travel to Carlisle sitting in a tow vehicle with roll-up power windows, heat, A/C and a radio”  Jack
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Bill: when Jack gets to Schu’s place with the tow rig, you pull the needles out of the valves of the tires of his tow vehicle. I’ll grab the igniter off his ignition system.

Nuff said.
    Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Come on Jack
    You have a couple of weeks for shakedown trips in your local area to build confidence. You don’t have to make a decision till you get to my place.
    Either way I’m glad your coming.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Hey Schu, is Cory joining us?

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Not sure Ed. He has not responded to my post on the SOC. Maybe not reading it any more?
    If you reach out and ask him that would be great.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Cory is a very infrequent visitor to the SOG

He is very active on the Speedster facebook group.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Catch 22 on point one, Jack.
    How do you check it out for a long distant drive without taking a long distant drive?

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I emailed Cory

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Bill, if there was such a thing as a 3 point slam dunk, you just scored one on Jack. 

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Hey guys, Cory is probably a no-go for the caravan but he asked me to show this drawing–it’s for the prize package, I think–and ask the group if we think the outlined MG ought to be colorized or not. He says he’ll do it with more precision for the final.

What do we think?
    Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

I like the no color myself but great either way.

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Ed,

You going to meet us for lunch in Frederick on Thursday?
    Know a good place along Rt 15 to eat? Thought maybe you had spent some time driving through.
    I will google the area.
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I’m gonna try to make the meet. Right now I have a DR appt that ends at 11, so it might be a tight run out to Frederick…

As for Rt 15 eateries: sorry. 
    Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Looks like a Glory Days sports bar is right off Rt 15 in Frederick so will post that address shortly.

Timing will be based on our trip north but guessing 12:30-12:45.
    Will post up shortly with complete directions and timing.
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I can get there on I-70 in about an hour-15. So, count me in.

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Sounds good Ed.

It looks like Dean ( Dbanta ) won’t make the Thursday run with us – work issues.
    Hopefully he will hook up with us on Friday for dinner or Saturday and maybe cruise back on Sunday.
    Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Update:

Meeting for lunch – 12:30-1:00 on Thursday the 19th
    Glory Days sports bar
    1305 W. 7th St Frederick Md. 21702
    This is just off Rt 15 on the way to Carlisle.
    Please let me know if you are planning to make it.
    HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Hey Shu,

I aAM coming up via Skyline Drive a few days early and will be spending a few days in the Park.  My plan is to leave Thursday morning and meet up with you all at the restaurant in Frederick, MD….
    Pray for SUN
    By the way, I was talking with Royal and the topic of the MGTDr group tent came up.  Royal thought that Wobby usually brought the tent — and since he is not coming this year????
    Does Carlisle supply some sort of tent/awning or does someone else have one?  Or do we need to pitch in and rent one?
    Looking forward to the adventure…!!!
    Happy Jack
    HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Hey Carlisle-bound TDr’s,

I was able to borrow a 12 x 12 canopy — just in case it rains or suns on us…
    Now I just have to figure out how to get it into Emma  — hmm — it should fit in the passenger seat well….???
    You all can report to Wobby that given a choice between my tea-serving-cup-tray-drive-in-diarama or a 12 x 12 canopy, I opted for the canopy……go figure!!  

Happy Jack
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

You are a hero, Jack. Thanks for stepping up!

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Jack, you rock!

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.