Odds & Ends

Home Forums General Discussion Odds & Ends

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

New tires done are on & I set the toe-in again (3rd time for it, the charm, I think). Got the small gauge lights working this a.m. and set the radio back in and bundled the wires up after getting a new lawn mower set up and running, and putting the old one on Craig’s List.

Relocated the top mechanism so it doesn’t interfere with the seats anymore yet the top still goes up nice and tight.

And tightened the drivers door striker that had come loose.

And pulled the ground wire off the steering column so that doesn’t
    “pop” any more on tight turns.

And aimed the headlights such that there’s no longer one on the cat & the other up the chimney.

Thinking I had it all good. But volts–which had been reading a steady 13.5 yesterday–now reading around 11 under power.

Weird. Everything seems to work, but volts are suddenly low.

Wondering if I didn’t cross something small when I zip-tied the wires up under the dash.

Gotta be that or that stereo, i guess.

Any ideas?

edsnova40671.8725231482

Richard Wobby
    Participant

@richard-wobby

disconnect radio thats rasy effough

LOOK IN YOUR ORANGE OR BLUE BOOK THERE IS A COUPLE EASY TESTS FOR GENERATOR AND REGULATOR

FINALLY CHECK GROUND

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Thanks, Richard. Checked the gen. It’s OK. Belt’s tight enough & all.

Looks like it’s the battery. I put some battery water in it and a slow charge overnight, hoping it’ll come back full.

Works fine, meanwhile, despite the 10-volt reading. I must have a 6-v starter in there.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Aaand . . . NOT the battery. Reads a sweet 14 volts after charge, but only on the multi-meter. The voltmeter in the dash still says 10.5.

Stripped the wheels with a wire brush and painted ’em black. This is about my speed, technically speaking. The paint appears to be adhering.

mike
    Participant

@mikeeva

i would think that the voltmeter and multimeter should read the same thing, assuming the battery is connected and engine running at fast idle.if not , the voltmeter could be defective. take your battery to an auto parts store and get it checked free.better yet take the car .

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I think it might be the voltmeter in the dash, but it’s still much more likely that I screwed something up in the wiring. I’ll sniff it out eventually.

Neil J Flaherty
    Participant

@profile57

Edsnova

Noticed on your photos of dash that you had chrome trim around the center dash cluster insert.  I think I used the same chrome trim on mine, but not happy with results on mine.  I have the same shape as the original, made from from some thin guage plastic, with pleather (vinyl) over-lay.  my corners are: some wrinkled, some pop out,and some I cut to fit.  I’m willing to do over.  Any suggestions greatly accepted.    Thanks Neil in NH (sun for the first time in 40 days)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.