Raise London Roadster front end

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Raise London Roadster front end

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Medicine Man
    Participant

@medicine-man

I have a 1954 London Roadster MG-TD and would greatly appreciate any information available on how to raise my front suspension to prevent the tires from rubbing the fenders. I replaced the coil overs but that did not correct the issue.
    Thank you in advance, Happy Thanksgiving, and may God bless!

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Andy,

VW based, correct?

Odd, the usual complaint is a car riding too high in the front.

Do you have an adjustable beam front end? An adjustable beam will have something like this wlded into the center of each tursion tube:
    If you do, it’s a simple amtter of taking the weight off the front end, loosening the lock bolt, shifting the adjustor plate, then tightening it down. I’d do one notch at at time (on each tube) until you are satisfied with the ride height. I forget whch way you need to move the adjustor.

Also, are you sure the tires are hitting the fenders? And not somthing else, like a headlight bracket bolt that is too long, exposed wiring to the headlights or turnsignals?

PMOSSBERG2015-11-24 16:42:31

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Medicine Man
    Participant

@medicine-man

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the info but my LR has a different frame and front suspension. Someone said it was a LR custom chassis. Do you have any suggestion for it. I did replace the coil over shocks but they are not adjustable. I talked with folks at local auto parts stores and they suggested coil spacers but these coil over springs are too close a fit to the shocks to allow coil spacers. I would like to raise it at least 1 inch or preferably 2 inches.

Blessings,

Andy

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

My LR had the same problem front fenders were rubbing on tires. I removed the braces under the wheel wells each end of the brace had a oblong type of hole that looked liked someone had extended it before and didn’t do a good job .I filed it to smooth it out . Jacked fender up a half inch . Never scraped again . Mine is a custom alsogreg press2015-11-24 19:42:53

Medicine Man
    Participant

@medicine-man

Thanks Gregg,

I too saw the oblong hole that connected to the frame and tried to raise it. I did not notice that it had an adjustment on the fender as well. We are leaving early tomorrow morning to visit with our son for Thanksgiving. I will check this out next week and hopefully between the two adjustment points I can correct the problem.

Thank again and have a blessed Thanksgiving my friend,

Andy

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Your right now that I think about it no adjustment on fender end of rod now that I think about it . I bought a spacer from Valu Home Center to help raise it . You need to be carful when raising it . you don’t want to crack it .

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.