Rallye in MD

Home Forums General Discussion Rallye in MD

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Anyone in the MD/PA area:

I noticed MGs of Baltimore are doing a time-speed-distance rally on Sunday, May 6, leaving from Kingsville (Northern Maryland.

It’s a 60-mile all-paved-roads event that winds up in a vineyard. ALL CARS INVITED.

I just emailed the guy (  Dennis Blevins, 1213 River Road, Quarryville,
    PA 17566 (lucas2mg@yahoo.com) and he said yeah. Bring $35 and run.

entry forms are on-line:

http://www.mgsofbaltimore.com/

click on “octogram” and then 2012, then download the april, 2012 issue. The entry form is near the back.

START: 12321 Jerusalem Rd, approximately .6 miles west of the Historic Jerusalem Mill, 2813 Jerusalem Rd, Kingsville, MD. Exit 74 from I-95, 2.3 miles north on MD 152 (Mountain Road), left onto Jerusalem Rd, 1.2 miles to Mill, .6 miles further to the start on the left. Or south on 152 from US 1, Right onto Old Joppa Rd (traffic light), Right onto Jerusalem Rd. for 1.8 miles to start location on the left.
    REGISTRATION: Opens at 10:00 am. Drivers??? meeting at 10:30. Please plan to arrive early. FINISH: Dejon Vineyards, 5300 Hydes Rd., Hydes, MD. http://www.dejonvineyard.com.    Bring along your picnic basket lunch and tailgating supplies. Wine tasting will be provided for entrants (MGOB hand stamp required).

edsnova2012-05-01 22:12:35

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Sounds cool Ed – you going? I will check and see how far from my house.
    Never done one of these – does it require a navigator who knows what they are doing?

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Wish I could find some rally’s around my neck of the woods.  Been searching the net and nothing close. 

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Schubie: This’ll be a bit of a haul for you. The starting point is about 6 miles north of my house in Joppa.

They do want no more than 2 people in a car. But as for “navigator who knows what he or she is doing,” I don’t think it’s a requirement. Anyway, I’ve recruited my wife, who has no sense of direction.

We’re thinking it’ll be a fun test of our marriage.

Bruce from the Speedsters say he’s run with the MGs of Baltimore before & it’s a blast. Hope to see you up here.

edsnova2012-05-02 21:08:40

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Love to come – sounds like something I want to try, but not sure I will make it at this point.

It’s a long haul plus 60 miles then long haul back – I guess I could flat tow to your house.
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

You’re welcome to park your rig at my place.

We’ll be leaving the house circa 10 a.m. on Sunday. So it should be an all-daylight day.

Gonna pack a picnic basket. Or at least a plastic cooler….

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I have done two TSD (Time-Speed-Distance) rallies. Both in the MG.

My navigator was my wife.

Our first rally took about six hours, over public roads. All classes except the pro class were allowed only the in-car speedometer and odometer and a stop watch.

You “earned” one penalty point for every one-hundredth of a second that you were off from the official time (over or under).

We won the rookie class with a score of 43. Yes! 43!  And we zeroed one of the 17 timed segments. That means we hit the timing strip in the road EXACTLY when we were supposed to by the official clock.

So I can affirm that no experience is necessary!

PMOSSBERG2012-05-03 20:38:15

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

OK, we’re back.

We totally could have used a stop watch (or any watch) but for newbies I think we did OK.

No rain, no crashes. And we raced this Viper for a bit. (You should’ve seen the time he had staying under 20 mph in some of the tight twisties!)

Took a bit longer than we expected. Nice picnic at Dejon Vineyard starting around 3 or so.

We ran just ahead of the Morgan Plus-4.

More detail & photos on my blog.

edsnova2012-05-06 19:45:21

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Final bump for this, fellas. Got the results today and, turns out, we finished 22 out of 36 contenstants–though 11th of the 12 “Novice” runners. I posted the grid on the bottom of my blog post on the subject, as an update.

http://bridgetmgtd.wordpress.com/2012/05/06/mgs-of-baltimore-get-the-dust-off-rallye/

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Tried a couple rallies decades ago. I figured my marraige

would last longer if I never did it again.

It’s worked.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.