Re-Engine Emma — Winter Project

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars My Project Re-Engine Emma — Winter Project

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

I guess the easiest solution would be a  Vicenc-style plan modified for the South — park it in January and take it out again when rains end in March…:-)

Rosebud and Bill
    Participant

@rosebud-and-bill

What about “The April Showers?”

Bad Bill

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

…the April showers are not as bad as the Jan/Feb cold and ice.  My blood must have really thinned out since I moved to NC 30 ears ago.  I prefer to leave that cold weather driving to folks in higher latitudes, like Ed and Bill and Paul….and that Michigan, Minnesota, Montana etc. crowd.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

First time I ever drove my Duchess on public roads, it snowed. Not a lot. But enough to christen the car. I finished her in December 1982. And was going to drive her no matter what.

Coldest drive is probably a tie between the Pumpkin run a couple years ago and heading to the VA Beach show a couple years ago.

Air temp was around 30 degrees both times. And yes, the roof was down.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Almost makes me want to get on the road today in the snow while it isn’t freezing yet. 😉 Naaaah!

Looks like NC will be warmer but wetter than normal during the next few months, if weather predictions are to be believed. Average for where I am though, and May tends to have a little more rain than April.
    About the getting in and out of car with side curtains… practice makes perfect. Well, no, that’s probably an untruth in this case. More like it can get easier, until there’s any trouble with snaps and zippers.
    I learned pretty quick how much I needed to unzip and unsnap to let the door swing open, then just limbo in or out of the car.
    Feeling lucky to be expecting only an inch of snow here, but the ice is what’s going to make me stay home tonight and tomorrow.
    Wishing everyone else as much of a trouble-free bad weather weekend as possible.
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Snowing here and I had the same idea–until I came to my senses. I really do want some Bridget-in-Snow pictures though.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I was thinking along the same lines as Ed but I was pushing snow up to my hood on the Subaru this morning. Had to dig myself out twice just to get to work. Traction not the problem, just not enough ground clearance. The MG can rest quietly.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Subaru??  If BILLNPARTS has one to go along with his Tdr it’s gotta be a WRX…!!!  as in speed, agility, fun to drive — sort of like a Tdr, only with the speed and agility added…

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Or maybe a Subaru Legacy? 😛

Don’t know about Bill … my previous DD was a Subaru Impreza Sport AWD.

No significant snow until 8 years after I bought it. Finally got to try driving in about 6 inches (8″ off the road), same as its ground clearance. Only drove a couple miles when I realized the wheel wells were solid with snow and ice making turns difficult until chiseling it out. 😮 Other than that it held the road great, but probably would have froze in place if I parked anyplace. 😀 That much snow happens here only every 10 years so I went back to a FWD drive car.
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Sorry to disappoint. 2012 Impreza Limited. 2.0 with the CVT.
    billnparts2016-01-24 06:18:25

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Nothing wrong with that!

Since I never drove a WRX, and the Impreza looked about the same to me, it never mattered that I wasn’t driving a turbo race/drift car. Although mine being a hatchback… well… I couldn’t see it from the outside while driving anyhow. 😆
    HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

So I guess it makes sense to just have a car for every season — AWD for winter, a pick up for those mandatory spring trips to That “blue” or that “orange” Big Box Home Improvement store, and a very fine Tdr for the rest of the year…!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.