Home Forums General Discussion Registration/insurance

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #232132
    Bill Hursh


    Iam almost done assembling my TD & was wondering what the best way to go about getting plates for it is. I know this is a grey area for most to talk about, but I would like if any one could share any of their experiences on this. I have all the paper work that was with the original kit, as well as all drive line recipts.

    My insurance co had a blank stare when I mentioned kit car & have a ton of questions to ask before they would concider any coverage. Is there an insurance co who may specialize in these types of vehicles? Do most carry just liability insurance?

    Thanks, Bill Hursh

    I live in NY if that has a factor?

    Mark Hendrickson


    Bill…Do you already have a title? Are you just getting plates and insurance? Your regular driver insurance company will probably not insure this car. You will require a “specialty” insurance company like Hagerty, J.C. Taylor, Condon & Skelly, etc., like the companies that insure classic cars and streetrods.

    If you have nothing for paperwork, you have a long road to get this thing titled, registered, insured and on the road. I think in NY you must at least have a certificate of origin (Sales Receipt) and the title/s of the donor car/s.

    There are other ways to get it titled.

    We have several New Jersey Replicar Club members in NY that should get you started if titling it as a NY reconstructed vehicle is the route you are taking. Your state DMV surely has a set of guidelines and a pre-title inspection process. NJ does.

    e-mail me:

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘Registration/insurance’ is closed to new replies.