Seat Back Mounting Method

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Seat Back Mounting Method

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Tom Albright
    Participant

@toma

My restoration of a FiberFab MIgi MGTD continues.  I am ready to install the seats and can not figure out from the manual how to support the seat back.  Origianlly, it was held in place by 2 small hinges on the back of the seat which mated with the rear shelf.  This arrangement doesn’t seem right or very strong.  The manual indicates that holes should be drilled in the left & right inner fender surfaces to mount something to but doesn’t say what.

anyone got a photo that would explain this? 

Richard Wobby
    Participant

@richard-wobby

On the allison there is an adustable rod behind each side of seat. I’ll try to send you some pictures. Its agreat set up and gives nice support.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Did you check the manuals page? There might be a better instrution book there than the one you’re working with.

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

On Audrey, when I reinstalled the back of the seat, I had it narrowed 1 inch on each side and then raised it to the top of the shelf.  It gave me about 3 inches of much needed leg room but lost a little in the storage area.  I didn’t have to change much as far as the mounting, reversed the hindges on the bottom and moved the top adjust bar back slightly.   Worked out great for me, I have a lumbar trim made now and possibly some type of extra cushion for the seat bottom, especially if we make the trip to Carisle.  Hope to meet some of you there.  I dont respond much on the site but I read it almost daily.

Happy Holidays to all..

Montie

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Tuma

something like this?

Happy Holidays,

Ringo

Richard Wobby
    Participant

@richard-wobby

Here is what Ally looks like, I believe its a seat brace off a boat

You can unscrew it and push the back forwardor as you push the seat bottom back you can pull it back. 

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Tom,

My seat back supports are similar to Ringos.

I picked up on Richard’s suggestion re boat equipment…and here you go. About a third of the way down this page, you will find windshield supports.

Search for part number 1291DP once you are on the page.

They are described as:

Tempress

Windshield Adjuster Offset Mount Side Mount Windshield Adjusters

Product Available:
    yes

Sku Number:
    MP80813927

Manufacturer ID:
    1291DP

UPC Number:

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Tom,

This site http://www.go2marine.com/category.do?no=14715

has both types. The style Ringo and I have and the style Richard has.

So now you have a choice.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Tom Albright
    Participant

@toma

Thanks for everyones input.  I suspected that I would have to come up with a support as shown.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I just noticed your address. I reside in Douglassville. I have owned my TD for 20 years, upgrading as I go.  My seat back has been narrowed and shortened and moved back quite a bit. The seat base las beel lowered. The seat back adjustors on mine came from Moss, for original TD’s. If I can be of help, let me know.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.