Seat Support

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars My Project Seat Support

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

As most of you know, a couple years ago, I began to enter my TDr in competition events (Hillclimbs and Time Trials). It quickly became obvious that the seats were inadequate to hold my fat ass in place. I had planned to install a racing seat over this winter but was unable to locate one narrow enough to fit without extensive cutting to the tunnel. I decided to work with what I had and construct something to hold me in place, yet be able to be removed.

Sitting in the car, I cut a template from heavy cardboard.

img_7472

My contacts at a local scrap yard, using a plasma cutter, cut a piece of steel using my template.

img_7474

They also provided some pieces of flat steel I could use for brackets.

img_7492

I bolted the brackets to the rear wall behind the seat bases. Behind that wall is a steel crossmember that it is bolted to. I welded the flat brackets to the plate and removed those two bolts.

img_7493

I found I had some leftover padded upholstery which I used to cover one side.

img_7501

I found some carpet which is attached to plywood and attached to the other side sandwiching the steel plate.

img_7502

This support does not move and is not uncomfortable. With the recent warm weather I took it on some twisty local roads and I think it will work out just fine. I still need to find something to “cap” it, but it is livable the way it is. I have a total of $20 invested and that was to the boys at the scrap yard. Its not as pretty as an $800+ racing seat but it functions the same.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Nice work Bill!

Pretty much what the Nascar boys did in the ’60s! Worked for them. Should work for you!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Perfectly nice!

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Nice outsidethebox thinking. 💡 What ever works! Almost every safety device on our modern cars; seat belts, rear view mirrors, windshield wipers,  the list goes on and on, originated from meeting a racing need. Keep the mental gears turning!

Amor Conquista Todo

Obrien
    Participant

@rabien73

Looks good. Simple modification but made a huge difference.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.