Shift Rod Bushing Replacement?

Home Forums Picture Gallery TD Replicas Shift Rod Bushing Replacement?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ed Starecheski
    Participant

@capeclassics

Newbie needs Help!Need to replace shift rod bushing on my classic roadster Duchess mounted on ’71 classic beetle.I have found some threads that explain much of how to do this.What I need specifically is a step by step of moving the shift rod forward and out of the bushing without dropping the shift Rod down into the tunnel.
    Any help will be much appreciated!

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Needle nose vice grips?

Also, I think I tied some mechanic’s wire to the back side of it, and looped more around it through the shift hole. 
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Capeclassics: Samba VW has a illustrated step by step guide to replace the shift rod bushing and the shift rod coupler. It includes photos of all the steps to do the job. Rob & Dave Air Cooled Volkswagen Pages has a good write up of how to do the same thing but no pictures. Job is not hard to do small Job. I did mine and did not have to pull plate at front of car. I pulled shift rod from shifter cover location. Experience as aircraft mechanic helped working in close spaces.  Good luck in getting it done. Mark location of shifter before you pull it and make sure you put it back the same way. If not can be hard to shift.

Ed Starecheski
    Participant

@capeclassics

Thank you so much George.Much appreciated.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Most of the stuff we do on the VW based cars has “How To…” You Tube videos too.

I’m building a straight axle “Volksrod” now and used this bushing, the “Bigfoot” pedal conversion and also their accelerator pedal. Best aftermarket stuff I’ve bought for a VW to date. http://unique-parts.com/

It is imperative when you reinstall the shifter that it is perfectly perpendicular to the tunnel when in neutral and viewed from the side. If not, it will be difficult to find either first and second or third and fourth (depending if the shifter is tipped forward or rearward). In a TD Replica, this happens when the shifter shaft is cut too short or too long. It’s got to be spot-on.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

MARK! Good to hear from you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.