Small scratches in chrome

Home Forums General Discussion Small scratches in chrome

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

The prior owner of my TDr used what was apparently a dirty buffing pad to polish some of the chrome. It left small swirls and scratches.

Do any of you have a “magic” trick to remove them. I have tried many polishes but no joy.

sreynolds
    Participant

@sreynolds

Roy, have you used jeweler’s rouge (or polishing rouge)? You can get it in sticks at Harbor Freight and Lowes. It comes in various forms (grits) depending on how aggressive you want to be. I’ve used it to polish aluminum and stainless steel parts on my Cobra build. I also used it to polish out a scratch I had in my steering wheel spoke. I used a 4″ cloth polishing wheel I got from Harbor Frt. that is mounted on a bench grinder, but you could mount it on a drill motor as well. Good luck.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Would that jewler’s rouge work on a sheet of stainless steel to make it shine like chrome?

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Dave B.
    Participant

@dave-b

Roy,

This might be what you’re looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Rouge-Polishing-Buffing-Compound/dp/B003K7U0J6

(It’s also the ideal material to use on a leather strop to hone knife edges.)

If the scratches are fine enough, you might be surprised to find that toothpaste will do the job. 

-Dave

sreynolds
    Participant

@sreynolds

Allen, yes it will, but if it is a big piece of SS, it will take a lot of buffing. I have polished several pieces of SS using this method.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Thanks Sam. I’ll prep my shoulders and elbows. I’m making three pair windshield cowl brackets out of 18 gauge ss on a 24-inch by 24-inch sheet.

Allen Caron

sreynolds
    Participant

@sreynolds

Allen, save your shoulds and elbows, you’ll need a powered 4″ or 6″ cloth polishing disk.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Well I do have an electric buffer. Would that work?

Allen Caron

sreynolds
    Participant

@sreynolds

Allen, it might. Give it a try. As I mentioned above, I used a 4″ or 6″ cloth polishing disk mounted on one side of a grinder motor. The metal ( alum or SS) will get warm during the polishing process due to the pressure and the friction so I think you’ll need the power and speed of the motor to get good results. Also, wear gloves to hold on to the metal as it will get pretty warm.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Might try a piece of aluminum foil . It surprisingly will remove rust from a chrome bumper . A piece is rubbed over the area and it cleans area. I have tried it and it works. I don’t know why.

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

I to have used tin foil and it does work . The more expensive foil seems to work better . However its a temp. fix.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I’ve heard of folks having great success removing rust with the aluminum foil method.

But let’s remember Roy’s question which started this thread, and that was how does one remove swirl marks and fine scratches from chrome?

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Aluminum foil or a brillo pad, even fine steel wool works for removing rust.  I don’t think it will do much for scratches though, might even make it worse. 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.