Spare tire musings….

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Spare tire musings….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Hubert Atkinson
    Participant

@baytowntd

Obviously with the “fake” spare tire and luggage holder, the rear hatch is not meant to carry any weight of much amount.  Wondering if anybody has “reinforced” the lid enough to carry a real spare tire….

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

It all depended on the manufacturer’s design.

Classic Roadster Ltd.’s Duchess used steel “z-bars” as the engine cover hinge and a support for an external spare tire.

Inteh pic below, you can see the black bar running behind the spare. Under the spare is a steel structure that extends through a hole in the engine cover, bends behind the fiberglass, and is bolted to the z-bar.

The parts and assembly are shown in Classic Roadsters Ltd. assembly manual, beginning on page 80, which is the next to last page of Part 4 – Body and Interior (pages 57 to 81). (You’ll find it at the end of the Download Manuals page.

PMOSSBERG2013-12-24 14:16:02

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Mine is a CMC Ford powered with the spare and luggage rack on the back. It is a real spare and I carry all sort of things on the rack, lawn chairs (bag type, coolers even a suit case if we go over night.   I looked under it and there is not much reinforcing it, just a steel bar about a foot long with the studs for the spare.    

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

My Lafer is VW-powered so the spare is stowed up front. I’ve owned it since February 2007, and in all that time have never been stranded with a flat. Wondering lately if I might jettison the spare altogether and use the space for a small tool kit and a couple cans of Fix-A-Flat instead. Thoughts?

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

My Chrysler Crossfire had no spare from the factory. It came with a can of Fix-a-flat and a small compressor. No spare is not too unusual now.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Pro spare here, Hugh. My car came with the proper setup and for that I am grateful.

If I were to mod one up from scratch I would copy Paul’s Classic Roadsters Duchess. It’s simple and effective and it looks more TDesque than most alternatives (mine included). Conduit pipe or, if handy, the steel from an old swing set would work.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

My TD has the insert in the engine cover for the spare tire. It bolts to the engine cover with 8 bolts washers and nuts and then has a two lug nut bracket bolted to that to hold the actual spare. I intend to keep that setup and if I run into a problem, get an original TD spare tire rack off the ebay.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Allen,

Be careful…that original TD spare tire rack may not fit over your fiberglass “tank.”

To paraphrase the traditional carpentry advice…measure twice…buy once.

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

That’s always good advice Paul. At the moment I’m pretty certain the insert in the engine cover for the spare tire will securely hold the spare.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

On a related side note — I talked to MG Magic about theirs, since my early FF has the fake spare also.  The guy said that theirs (MG Magic’s) for the VW might not cover the hole in the engine lid, but that the one for the Ford/Chevy kits would.  That’s the one that he recommended to use…

I’ve yet to buy or try either one — still mulling the options and may go for the compressor/Fix-a-Flat solution.

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Royal
    Participant

@royal

When I first got my Daytona MIGI, I made a list of things that I wanted to do to it.  Putting a spare on the rear was in the top 5.  I now have real knock off wire wheels and a spare wire but, on my car, you simply can not take off the “fake” spare continental kit and mount a tire.  The carb and it’s air cleaner are way too far into the inside of the continental.  I mention this to warn you that this is not always obvious.  I had removed my fake and had a spare mounting kit available to test. Can’t be done without Major fiberglass work or perhaps repositioning the tub by moving it aft. 

However, if your intention is just to carry a spare, perhaps what I did will work for you.  A full sized spare tire didn’t fit up front.  I could not find a new super small tire to mount on my 5th wire so I called every used tire sales place east of Raleigh NC and finally found one.  (My wires are 14″)  It fits nicely up front and I’m happy.  
    When my friend Happy Jack bought his TDr (Fiberfab) he wanted to carry a spare.  I showed him what I had done, and he ended up buying a super small tire for his stock VW 15″ wheel and it also fits nicely up front.  
    Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Or – you can go dual carbs and then your spare will not have the carb and air cleaner up inside the spare. More then one way to skin a cat. Many options – your choice.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

The Duchess’ configuration left plenty of room for a single carb/air cleaner.

Paul Mossberg

Hubert Atkinson
    Participant

@baytowntd

Well on mine,  the “spare tire cover” is a separate piece.  Appears to be pop-riveted on.  And the clearance is needed for the air cleaner/carb….  Might be able to rig something on the “luggage rack”.  But I’d still worry about the weight.  Maybe the best solution is like the Solstice-a can of fix-a-flat….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.