Speedometer collar

Home Forums Classifieds VW Parts Wanted Speedometer collar

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Does anyone have, or know where I can get cheap-like, the fitting that attaches a stock VW speedo to the cable?

My car (like most) has an aftermarket speedo. The kit’s assmbly instructions say to use the kit speedo and the new screw-on collar supplied, and to throw away the original VW item, which doesn’t fit the aftermarket speedo (from Classic Instruments, in my case).

So, having discovered that the aftermarket speedo reads about 4/5 of my actual speed, and that this is easily correctable using an obscure little part that was last manufactured circa 1987, I’m going with an original stock VW speedo, and I’m a cheapskate, so I don’t wanna buy a whole new, too-short VW speedo cable for $15 just to get that little piece.

Anyone taking pity on me here?

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Ed. On my VWbased car ,the cable connects directly to the VDO speedometer without an adapter. When the speedometer ”broke” on the car I recently sold [also VW  –VDO] I was able to fit the ”works from a VW speedometer into the VDO case. The same cable that fit the VDO also fit the VW speedometer.

Icould not find it, but I remember a post not too long ago where a forum member was able to repair another members speedometer. This makes me wonder if your ‘s could be recalibrated. Or are you trying to be more authentic with the larger VW unit?

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Pretty sure my Classic Instruments speedo is working as intended, just that the PO never installed the little gear adjustment box described in the instructions. I’m thinking the larger faced dial & 100 mph read should look better and work better.

Be digging into this by Thanksgiving or so, as good days for driving are getting sparse & I now have a big ambitious pile of changes/upgrades to do, beginning with the adjustable front beam. Thanks for the knowledge.

We shall see.
    edsnova40478.9146875

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.