Spyder work

Home Forums General Discussion Spyder work

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

So this is not Bridget-related but I figured I’d update you-all on my other absurd plastic toy. Some of you know I bought an unbuilt Thunder Ranch Spyder kit back in April, picked up a Jake Raby-built 1915 Type 1 engine for it in May, and have been doing stoopid things to it ever since: instead of assembling the blasted car like a normal person would, I have been chopping holes in it, adding steel, buying gauges that don’t fit and sending them to California, taking the transaxle out…basically anything and everything a sane person would NOT do on his first full build.

My aim is to make this Thunder Ranch extremely lifelike, in terms of detailed fealty to the original Spyders. To that end, I’ve made functional front jack points, a functional front air intake, true-to-original horn pockets under the front valance, and now am working on the inner clamshell bracing.

Here’s the blog.

Here’s a taste:

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Very good. I read the blog and it looks like a unique detail.

Why is it that the most work goes into stuff you never see as it rolls on down the road?

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Only Ed would drill holes in 22 gauge aluminum to “lighten” it.  I’m impressed, but not surprised (having seen Ed’s work before)….a passion for precision.

“fealty”?  Really Ed?  I need to remember to never play Scrabble with you.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Royal.
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Ha! Yeah the holes won’t lighten it enough to matter, but they’re good decoration, and who ever parks a Spyder without lifting up the clamshell so’s everyone can see in? My aims here are three.

1. See if I can develop any passable skills in sheet metal forming without investing in necessary tools such as an English wheel or even a bending brake.
    2. If I succeed at (1.), make a Spyder replica that, when parked next to the six other ones at Carlisle, will make pretty much everyone stop and go “Holy Nürburgring, Batman! Somebody parked a real one in amongst these fakes!”
    3. If I succeed at (1.) and (2.), commence a small side gig making and selling and/or installing said faux-fealty alloy bits in other people’s Spyder kits, for money-pay.
    Toller
    Participant

@toller

Ed
    Too bad you live too far south, I picked up a Grizzly G4011 last week in an online auction for $200. It will shear, brake, roll, press and notch albeit it is limited to a max of 22 gauge. I did make some seat stands to replace the fibreglass pedestals with 20 gauge last week but had to use a cheater bar to give me the leverage to make the 90 degree bends. I dropped the seat height by 4″ so I now look through the wind screen instead of over the top

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

ROAD TRIP !! 🚗💨

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Continuing Spyder work. Nothing earth-shaking here; just steady hour-here, three-there progress.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Transaxle comes back Saturday. I plan to have this all primered-up by then.

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Cool Ed

following along – need to get moving on my rig somehow

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Transaxle is back.

Also did a guide coat on the inner clam last night. Not bad, but still needs a full sand-down and maybe one or two more trips with the filler.

By the way, those irregular little humps running in the valleys are bogus “weld fillets,” which are period-correct and will remain.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Bending metal, boys. All in the service of making the spare tire fit just right.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Ed, when I click your latest link, I get a prompt to log in to my WordPress account. I don’t have one.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Great progress, Ed. I see you use the same CAD that I use. What version is yours?

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Mine is “boxes that stuff came in, Ver. 1.1.”

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Spare tire mount is coming along.

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Hey Ed,

Lookin’ Good!!  So as I count it up, you have a fiberglass fabrication shop, a metal fabrication shop, a paint shop, a lift and a lot of patience…and a fine “Cardboard Cad System” all of which makes you the envy of every “Big Boy’s Car Kit Maker” out there — especially me!!

Keep on Build’in

Happy Jack

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Five hours in the shop today and I almost made a new cross bar.

Wait till I get into the actual build, right?

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Ed, not a play on words: are you using gas…..or flux wire?

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

It’s flux wire and it’s a new (to me) unit. I’ll get it dialed-in, don’t worry.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I was using flux wire until about a year ago.  Went to a flea market and bought a gas bottle and regulator.  I’ll never look back.  (I’m using CO2)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Progress is being made!

Excellent!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Adding lightness…

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Latest update (from Friday) on the Spyder build.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Done with the spare tire mount. Put the back wheels on the car. Dropped the whole rear section of the car on a bit of sharp metal.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 126 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.