Stiff shifter

Home Forums General Discussion Stiff shifter

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mark Konrad
    Participant

@mark-k

My shift level is very stiff, hard to shift.  When I parked/stored it this summer for a few months it got stiff all of a sudden, never a problem before.

Any ideas how I can resovle this issue?

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Are you sure that it is the lever and not the transmission that is causing the stiffness?  I know that some folks put synthetic transmission fluid in to allow for easier shifting when it’s cold.

Mark Konrad
    Participant

@mark-k

Not sure. 

I think a will unbolt the shifter on the tunnel and see whats going on there first then double check the trans.  Shouldn’t be because its cold because I ive in Florida and the weather is in the 80’s.

May try repplacing the trans fluid if can’t find a problem in the tunnel area.
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

You should get another opinion.  I’m just an old amateur mechanic who makes errors.  

Mark Konrad
    Participant

@mark-k

Thanks your not alone.  I’m just and Old fart just trying to learn.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Mark

Check the coupler that connects the shift rod to the transaxle under the tunnel access panel. Sometimes the coupling gets worn or the bolt gets hung. Usually a new couplling will cure the problem. Let us know what you find out.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi,

Go through the gears with the engine off. If it is stiff or feels like it is binding, it is likely the nylon bushing in the shift rod bracket.

It it moves freely, start ‘er up and go through the gears again. if it is stiff, it;s likely the trans issues mentioned in earlier posts.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.