The New Kid in Illinois

Home Forums General Discussion The New Kid in Illinois

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

I recently purchased a very fun “London Roadster” based on a VW engine and transmission.
    What is the original manufacturer of the London Roadster?
    I am looking for minor parts, i.e. wiper arms, headlamp bulbs, etc.
    Are these generic type parts or factory specific?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank You!

Amor Conquista Todo

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Hi Steve, 

Our LR were built by London Motor Corp in Inkster Mich -Most were factory built which gives our London Roadster less suspect to shoddy or short cuts in the build as might be in the Kit Car models ..or short cuts made by the  kit car builders 30 years ago …

I own a ’86 LR with custom tubular frame and a 1776cc engine, rack and pinion steering – btw I de-blinged the 80’s  look here..
    There were two models produced  per sey: 
    LR TD’s with a VW chassis and running gear and a custom tubular chassis with VW running gear.
    Our engines have been modified to  1776 cc from the standard VW bug engine  i guess that’s why  my engine has no serial number.
    Do you have the manual?
    I would be happy to email you  a copy of one or snail mail  either way  PM me if  you wish .
    Most of the parts can be had a Moss motors,MG Magic,etc  and  your local VW air cooled type 1 mechanics and those that  are  on line . I am sure the guys  here will add to this ..
    Royal, and Edsnova plus Paul are great  resources……
    Welcome aboard  
    post  pics… 
    Thumbs Up

jebarry2015-09-11 21:11:19

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

greg here from buffalo NY area I to own a LR . lots of fun Waite until you take it to shows. Be prepared for lots of questions .

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Wiper arms should be VW from the donor car. There are differences year-to-year in the ’60s VWs as to how the arms attached to the motor studs. Remove your old ones and get the same style. You may also have to cut the blades a little. Headlights are generic. A lot of people go with modern higher-intensity bulb conversions, but it pays to make sure you’ve got headlight relays and good wiring before installing those.

Wiring on most of these cars is suspect: either it wasn’t done all that well, or it was…but 30 years ago. I try not to drive too much at night. Or in the rain.:lol:
    Russell Rowe
    Participant

@budrowe

Need wiper blades or arms with blades if necessary. Where can they be purchased? Have a 53 MGTD on VW chassis. Takes 9 Inch blades.

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Here is the link for where to find both.
    This will fit just about everything.
    Hope it helps!http://www.mgmagicclassicmotorparts.com/windshield-wiper-arm-blade-complete-set-of-two
    Take Care!

Amor Conquista Todo

Russell Rowe
    Participant

@budrowe

Loosened nut on shaft. Is the gear pressed on?

Russell Rowe
    Participant

@budrowe

Can I attach a picture of my wiper assy to a post?

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

You can also find 9″ wiper blades on e-bay. You can also just google 9″ wiper blades. They are around.

In wine there is truth, in water health.

Russell Rowe
    Participant

@budrowe

Thank you for suggesting “google”. Am trying a pair.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.