Turn Signal replacement

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Turn Signal replacement

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Charles Niedzialkowski
    Participant

@chuckonwhidbey

Has anyone found a good replacement turn signal light that has all the wires

contained on the “up-side” of the fender? When trouble shooting mine all of

them had grit and rust evident because all of the connections are on the

under side of the fender. Perhaps there is a later model VW that could be

used since the Duchess I have has the shape of the VW turn signal lens

molded into the fender so to speak. Most of my components are from a 73

(I think). Chuck N

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Hi Chuck;

My Duchess had heat shrink and body seam sealer on the under fender parts.  When I replaced one of the lights, the underneath had less corrosion than what was under the glass!  So, I did the same when I changed it.  Silicone (Auto Goop?) might do as well.

Ringo

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Chuck,

Is that your white Duchess in the photo gallery?

Your posting mentions VW turn signals, but the ones in the photos are reproduction TD turn signals.

There is room within the reproduction turn signals to make the wiring connections, so that the only thing under the fender is the wire leading into the body. I suggest you simply remove the lights, rewire them with all connections inside the body of the light, and splice the new wiring into the existing harness within the body.

The gasket under the turn signal has holes for the mounting bolts and the wiring. No further sealing should be necessary. Mine’s been fine since 1982!
    PMOSSBERG39823.0198842593

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Chuck,

I just took a closer look at the photos in your gallery. It looks like the turn signals are mounted directly to the fender without a mounting pad.

You need part #281-068 from Moss Motors ($3.80 a pair). It’s #1 in teh diagram at the following site:

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexI D=32859

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Charles Niedzialkowski
    Participant

@chuckonwhidbey

Paul, You are exactly right, there is no gasket and that is perhaps one of the

problems. I will try to do the wiring on the top side once I et the pads. I

ordered the pads and I happened to finally find the windshield wings. I just

“bit the bullet” and bought a set. Thanks again for the help. Chuck

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Glad to help Chuck.

Let us know if it works out. It’s a tight fit inside the turn signals, but a couple quick connects do fit in there. That will leave you with only the two wires coming through the fender and into the body.

Paul Mossberg

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

The local West Marine has a great selection of weather-proof crimp connectors. They’re expensive, but worth it in the long run. You could probably find some in your area or “google search” for an online vendor.

Charles Niedzialkowski
    Participant

@chuckonwhidbey

Hey Pink, We have a West Marine just up the highway in Anacortes. Good tip

to help solve this problem. Chuck N

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.