Two Possible Cruises in the MidAtlantic

Home Forums General Discussion Two Possible Cruises in the MidAtlantic

Tagged: ,

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

I’ve been talking to some of you guys about this and I’m putting it here to see if we can coordinate something.

Charlene and I have been wanting to take the car down to Fredericksburg, VA, to get together with some of the folks down that way and do some cruising out towards Lurray, Skyline Drive or the Blueridge Parkway.
    The other idea on the table is that I have some really very nice driving country just down the road from my place.  We would be happy to host a driving tour out this way if anyone is interested.  
    Just let me know what you think.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I second both ideas. Pick one and pick a date and I’ll do my best to participate.

John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

Wow, I saw the title, “Cruises in the Midatlantic” and pictured something entirely different …

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Wow, I saw the title, “Cruises in the Midatlantic” and pictured something entirely different …

I was thinking about riding out to the Bahamas but then realized that we were talking about islands so I changed the destinations.  XD.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Sound good

I will try and be there if any way possible.

If you plan on coming to Fredericksburg this summer please give me a heads up.

We can get together for sure

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Here’s a possible plan to see if we have any takers.

Date – either Saturday, 03 Sept, or Sunday, 04 Sept.  This is labor day weekend which will allow a buffer for travel and the long range forecast for those days shows good temperatures and low chances of rain. The dates are not set in stone, they are just a proposal, so if anyone has a suggestion for other dates, please, let me know.  If there are no takers for these dates, we can reschedule.

Route – A run through Pennsylvania horse country and the Chester County Dragon with a stop for lunch at an English country pub.  The Dragon runs  through the Brandywine battlefield, the Brandywine Valley and northern Delaware.  This is a back-roads ride in three loops or modules that is full of twisties and hills, just the ride our cars were made for.  We would begin in Newtown Square, run past the site of the Dupont’s Foxcatcher Farms, the Radnor Hunt Club and through Delaware County horse country.    After that first loop we’ll head out SR926 and stop at the Goose Creek Gill for breakfast then on to the second loop to catch the Chester County Dragon, running along the banks of the Brandywine Creek to Delaware, past the Dupont’s Winterthur Estate, and looping back to Kennett Square, PA.  Along the way to Kennett Square there are a couple of places where we can stop for some photos, Bartram’s Covered Bridge, the Birmingham-Lafayette Cemetery (which is part of the Brandywine battlefield), the Chadds Ford Historical Society barn, and the Garrett Snuff Mills in Delaware.  After clearing Kennett Square we would continue on to the third loop on SR82 through Chester County horse country to The Whip Tavern for lunch.  The Whip is a typical English country pub with great food.  From there we would loop back to the SR926 for the back part of the dragon and the ride back to Newtown Square.

This is about a sixty mile run that can be done in a little over two hours not taking into account stops for food, gas and pictures.  Gas stops have to be planned because it is mostly back country so there are very few gas stations along the route.  This should not be a problem if we all head out with full tanks.

Accommodations – We have a spare bedroom, a couple of couches and a couple of inflatable mattresses and we would be happy to host anyone who would want to stay with us.  We also have a cat so if you are allergic to cats, that could be a problem.  We would also love to host an informal dinner at our place either the night before or on the night of the run depending on when people are coming and leaving.

Logistics – I would like to be on the road by 9:00 which would put us at the Goose Creek Grill by 9:30 or 9:45 for breakfast.  It would be best to get to The Whip before noon.  It is a small place and it gets crowded after noon.  On Saturdays they open at 11:00 and on Sundays at 10:00 but in either case we should manage our ride to be there no later than noon.

We would love hear if there is any interest.  Remember that the dates are not set in stone so if anyone has a suggestion for other dates, please, let me know and we can adjust accordingly.

@edsnova
    , @schu, @billnparts, @happyjack, @royal, @pmossberg

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Vicenc, What a great idea.  I wish I could, but I regret that I will not be able to attend.  Thanks for the invite, I appreciate the invite.

I still am planning on seeing many of you this fall in Virginia Beach at the Air & Auto Show.

I’m trying to decide whether to drive my TDr or my Classic Mini to the show.  My Mini is nice and a lot of fun, but wouldn’t cause other Mini owners to say ooooh!  (But, I’m still working on it.)

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

@Royal – Sorry it won’t work out for you but we will definitely be at the Air and Auto so we’ll see you there!

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Dang: Labor Day weekend is the Lime Rock Vintage Grand Prix. Got tickets to that already. Was hoping for some TDr company in CT–or on the ride up?

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

I might be up but need to check with my wife. Not sure if something is already planned.

Sounds like a nice time.

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

@edsnova I picked Labor Day weekend forgetting about Lime Rock and relying on the long range weather forecast.  If that date doesn’t work for you or @schu I’m happy to change it.  The two weekends following (Sept 10 and 17) there is a chance of rain (in the 63% to 53% range.)  The weekend of the 24th shows a clear forecast.  Another (I think even better) option is either Aug 13th or 27th.  Both are forecast with low chance of rain and some cloud cover, which is good.  We are free on any of these dates so we are flexible.  It would be nice if we could get four or five cars together but we are happy to do it with just one other car.  Let’s see if we can get a date that will work for us.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I might could do an August run. Actually any of those other dates would probably work for me. But don’t halt the Labor Day cruise if I’m the only no-show.

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

@edsnova So far I got you and @schu.  If schu can do an August date that would be best because we would have three cars.  I hope anyone else out there who is interested pipes in so we can get a run together.  If it turns out to be just you two guys that are interested, we don’t mind doing two runs.  It just sounds like more fun with at least a small group.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

My thoughts lean toward September because August can still be very hot but maybe PA is different?

I can do most dates but need lead time because I am overwhelmed at work. My Granddaughters birthday is the 21st of September so that following weekend is most likely out plus it gets close to our October meet. I lean towards the weekend of the 10th or 17th but can adjust for everyone – the more the better. I want Lois to come so will have to flat tow the car to PA on this one…

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

@schu the 17th has a forecast moderate risk of rain.  If you all are willing to take that risk, that works for me.  The 10th has a high risk so I don’t think that would be a good bet.  @edsnova What do you think?

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Bump

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I’m in for 7/17

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

@schu – Looks like @edsnova can make it on the 17th, are you in?  Anyone else?

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hey Ed, last time I checked, August was the 8th month. Just sayin’  😈

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Ed is using a different calendar. Doesn’t have a month for Ceasar Augusts.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Just for clarity’s sake, we are talking about September 17th.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Vicenc,

Sounds like Lois and I are in but need to talk about timing because we need to make out way up either Friday evening or cruise up very early Saturday morning.

Maybe speak about this through email. Will send you a PM.

Threw a wheel bearing last time out so still need to fix – been to hot to work in the garage.

September should be much nicer.

Ed,

Karen coming as well?

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

@schu – You and Lois should come on Friday and spend the night, it would be much easier considering the distances.  I’ll send you and email later or tomorrow morning.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Hey all!  We got three cars for the First Annual Chester County Dragon Run on 17 Sept leaving the paddocks at 09:00.  Just giving a shout out to see if anyone is interested.  Let me know.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Double tap again?

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.