Weight of MGTD

Home Forums General Discussion Weight of MGTD

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

Does any one know the weight of a Fiberfab kit with a ford 4 cyl and an automatic.

I’m wondering if it’ll work on my trailer.

Thanks

Rob

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Rob,

In case we don’t hear from anyone with a front engine TD, my VW based TD is about 1900 pounds. Not an exact comparison, but I hope it helps.
    PMOSSBERG39772.9275578704

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Bill Hursh
    Participant

@bill-hursh

Hi Rob,

My front engine chevy TD kit car weighs in at around 1900 pounds. Surprizing the same as Pauls VW kit.

Bill

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

Thanks, sounds close enough for me.  I going to be looking at a almost finished mgtd tomorrow.  Hope I fit 6’3″ and 200 lbs

Bill Hursh
    Participant

@bill-hursh

Im 5’11” and 210 lbs and I fit fine. I have modified my seat back though, to allow for more belly space!

Good luck!

Bill

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

And I’m 6’2″, 200. I fit fine.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

I’m a little excited that I’ll be looking at this car.  Hope it’s as good as I expect.  The seller was concerned I may be too big.  These cars certainly don’t replace our daily drivers relative to space and luxuries.

Paul my wife will be in Summit this weekend visiting her Mom.  I’m home watching the dogs.  Perhaps I’ll get in touch with you on my next trip down to NJ.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Hi Rob,

Where are you located?

My BCW Chevette based replica weighs 2,055 according to the scale at Red Bank Recylcers.

You can always go to a local scrap metal dealer or AGWAY where they have scales. They may not even charge you much to weigh the car either. Tell them you need an exact weight for DMV purposes.

I’m 6’4″ and a svelte 255 and I have to raise the steering column (wheel hits my thighs). It was not mounted properly by the original builder. I also have to relocate the pedals slightly to get my size 13’s  from stepping on the brake and gas at the same time.

My VW based replica had the seat bottoms mounted almost directly to the floor pan.

If you get the car, don’t forget to post some pics here. 

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

Pink your obviously a lite weight

I live on the NorthShore, North of Boston, Hamilton, MA

Just getting use to the car will help and I know something about making them fit.  I have a nice Factory Five Cobra that works quite well for me that I built just not a lot of room to strech out in that car either.  I could be short some cash tomorrow ater looking at this car. 

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

I can’t fit in the FFR Cobra…Believe me I tried!!!

I used to live near Bath, ME and worked at Bath Iron Works. Chilly up there!!!

Good Luck!

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

Well the inspection went well and I purchased the car.  Seller needs to update the donor title but that doesn’t seem to be a problem as he has the paper trail and the previous title.

I fit fine although it’s certainly a different seating arangement, nothing I can’t get use too.

The car is a 1988 fiberfab with a ford 2.3 mustang II automatic drivetrain.  It needs a little work as it’s currently running ruff and the automatic isn’t shifting correctly.  Need to get my hands on the mustang manual to figure things out hopefully it’s a vacumn issue somewhere.

Looks like a great winter project.  The car has never had a VIN so I’ll be the first registered owner.

Probably be trailering it home in 2 weeks

Pictures in the spring and I’ll need a forum badge.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

The drive train/suspension is the same on the Pinto, Bobcat (Mercury) and Mustang II.

Check eBay for a manual…if it’s a 2.3L, then you need 1974 thru 1980 Pinto. The last Mustang II was 1978, the last Bobcat (I think) was 1979.

The 1974 up Mustang II, Pinto and Bobcat wagons were available with a 2.8L V6, the same one that came in the Capri. The last two years of the Mustang II were also available with a 5.0L V8, but they are rare. Most of these cars were either a 2.3L I4 or 2.8L V6.

The 73 and earlier cars had 2.0L and 1.6L engines and European Ford transmissions.

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

Pink, Sunday I ordered the 1974 mustang four volumn set off ebay for about $30.  Can’t wait to get my hands on the car as I know nothing about the Mustang II drive train, steering suspenstion or brakes.

Lots of things to work on to fix and improve should be a great car when I’m done.

First impressions, steering too heavy-maybe a flaming river rack with a higher ratio 18-1

Ran rough and doesn’t shift into second (automatic) owner thinks it a vacumn plumbing issue, manual should help trace the plumbing.

Didn’t get up to speed to get on the brakes, they felt fine but little stopping power, maybe a different master cylinder is needed.

Hopefully I can transfer some of my cobra building knowledge into this car to make it a low hp comfortable cruiser.

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

. Before my london roadster arrived i  went to the dmv to get plates.I was told because they had no records of any kind of a car like this i would have to get it weighed and have a computer print out of its weight.They also said i would have to have it towed to the weigh station.  YEA RIGHT!!! I talked to a state trouper friend.She said any police worth anything would not give you a ticket if you had your paperwork with you.She also said do not  take your plates off another car and put it this car thats a misdemeaner .The car weigh is 1840 lbs.

greg

greg press40884.9196643519

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.