Weight

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Weight

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dick
    Participant

@dickh

Any idea how much a BCW with the 1.6 L Chevette engine weighs?

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you want the exact  weight of your car the local stone or sand company can weigh car. Feed store or any business selling bulk goods could also weigh car.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Scrap yards could also scale it.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

Anyone out there know how much a Ford based Fiberfab/CMC MG weighs? Even a Chevy based vehicle would be a good approximation? How about weight distribution? Is 55/45% a good guess?

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

sorry ,I can not help but my reg. showes no weight . thats it ,lighter than air  … Dan

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

I did exactly that too car to gravel pit.got it weighed this was for license plates nys my car weight is. 1840lbs

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

My Ford Fiberfab, fully fueled with spare, tool kit and my fat ass…2400#

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

Wow, that’s a 560 pound window. Thanks guys. Reason I asked was to get an idea of what spring rate to shoot for.

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Greg, Yours is Ford/Chevy/VW based? I always thought the VW based would be at least 200-300lbs less – anyone know?

Richard Shear
    Participant

@gbidick

My London Roadster is 1670

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Dick: Bill is a substantial person. I’d say his car without his fat ass in it will scale at about 2170,* wet & appointed.

His is a Ford 2.3 which weighs about 30 pounds less than a Chevette 1.6, according to this guy.

That means that, everything being equal (which it almost certainly isn’t**) your Chevette-based car should finish up in the 2140-pound neighborhood, which is roughly 100 pounds more than an original TD.

Bill has reported the front-rear weight distribution of his car is just about 50-50 with the spare attached, the tools and his butt in the driver’s seat.

*Bill: no offense. Just a guess, made respectfully and wholly in the interest of science and solving problems

**Other considerations
    1. Chevette-based frames are often crude, heavy things; Ford-based, unknown.

2. Bill has a 5-speed, which is likely 30-40 pounds heavier than a Chevette 4 speed.

3. Suspension matters. Wheels too: his are wide steelies, which weigh more than narrow steelies and more more than narrow aluminum or spoke wheels.

4. Chopper-gun fiberglass bodies can vary in thickness by like half an inch. One Speedster owner actually ground away layers of glass from the inside of his car’s shell to lighten it. Took many pounds off.

Verily, your mileage certainly will vary.

edsnova2012-12-05 17:21:14

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Well, that’s the first time I’ve been referred to as “substantial”.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.