What kit would work

Home Forums General Discussion What kit would work

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Duk
    Participant

@justduky

I am now the owner of a 5.0 mustang with less than 15k on the clock. This is a salvage titled donor car that has been hard rolled. This pony has a very strong screaming hot motor and a standard trans ect. This would make a wicked drive for a TD I think, any ideas or suggestions. Haven’t been on for a few days and sure enough I missed a deal. Who ever got the kit that was for sale, good buy you dog. LOL  

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

you’d be looking at Cobra kits, I think. 

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I don’t know the dimensions of the five liter Ford engine, but you MIGHT be able to stuff it under the hood of a front engine TD replica.

There is a TD “street rod” running around northern NJ. So it can be done!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Gee if was me I would do COBRA or maybe a Tbird some of the older un finished kits i have seen on ebay are priced lower than a new kit.  Good Luck   Dan

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

I you have a mustang 5.0 you need to go to factoryfive.com and get a cobra.

I would say 225 hp in a mgtd replica is way overkill.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

How about a Miata Italia II or Manta from Simpson Design?

Way cheaper than a Factory 5 Cobra & doesn’t look like everyone else’s Cobra. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that).

I seen these Simpson kits offered used for well south of $10k–Miata included. Go get your Mustang-to-Miata kit & get to work.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Monster Miata, Cobra or Sebring (Healy 3000) is the way to go. They make a great kit.

I started on a build with a CMC Ford based kit. It was to be Buick V6 (3.8L) powered with a TH200R4 automatic and an 8″ Ford 3.55 posi rear.

I had also upgraded to GM “G” body (Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Malibu, Cutlass, Regal) metric disc brakes on all four corners and had plans for a 6 point roll cage. I also had a tubular control arm/coil over front end and a torque arm set up for the rear suspension.

I ended up selling the car with all the donor Pinto running gear as an engine/trans/rear/suspension installed “roller” to a guy in Sacramento, CA. Not sure if he ever finished it.

Most all these parts, except the Buick motor, ended up in/on my 1940 Ford Sedan.

The V8’s make these car very nose heavy and a beast to handle. Without huge brakes, they won’t stop either.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I was recently thinking a cool Simpson/Miata mill would be the aluminum Buick/Rover 215, appropriately bored and stroked, of course. Very light and nominally British. Outfit it with some old strombergs maybe . . . But, as everyone knows, I have way more theories than either money or skill. Ever thus.

Duk
    Participant

@justduky

Thanks for some Ideas other than the one that I was tunnel vision focused on. More ideas will always be welcome. Some people horde books or magazines I horde things with wheels or that at least had wheels. And your probably right too much power to waste it with a TD kit besides the fact that 90% of the nose would have to go away too accommodate the motor, then again it be fun to pull up to a stop and stand a TD up on a set of drag bars as you come of the line just one time. 

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Screw it, man. This dude (ZZ4 in a TD with ‘Vette & Jaguar suspension) must be challenged! You are the man to do it.

After yer all done gawking at this engineering marvel, check out his hubcap attachment system. One of my theories is vindicated. Cause of that, I’mma post this on that hubcap/wheel thread too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.