Wire wheels

Home Forums Classifieds VW Parts Wanted Wire wheels

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Rich Gearheart
    Participant

@argee

Read through the topics on getting Wire Wheels for a VW kit, anyone have a set they would recommend? I have wire hubcaps, but wold really prefer a set of real wire wheels…
    Thx,
    Rich

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Rich, if you read my posts, I have very little to add.  My 72 spoke Triumph Stag 14″ wires look and work great.  

I believe that I have a complete spare set  of Stag wires with the hub adapters and lug nuts and knock-offs that I may be willing to part with.  There are a few spokes missing or bent and they can be purchased from Rimmer Bros.  They have no tires mounted and need considerable cleaning up and possibly refinishing.  I had considered powder coating, but have done nothing to them.  I believe that the splines are good but will check them carefully if interested.  Buyer would have to drill and tap (as I did on my MiGi) the VW brake drums or just drill to a 4×100 pattern (vs the standard VW 4x130mm pattern) and install lugs.  
    I opted for installing grade 8 bolts rather than pressing in lug bolts.  Clearance issues on MiGi with P185x75R14 tires are: None.  No rubs, no hits, no errors.  This tire size, although 14″ has the same diameter and outer circumference as standard 15″ VW and MGTD size and are only slightly beefier thus giving a nice ride but without changing drive ratios.   They look right at home and not “hot roddy”.   I have enough confidence in them after about 1500 miles since installing that in a month, I am towing over 1000 miles to run in the Carlisle Pa AutoX.  

If you have any questions, please send me a PM.  
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.