2008 Carlisle Import/Kit car/Replica Show

Home Forums General Discussion Clubs and Show 2008 Carlisle Import/Kit car/Replica Show

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Guys and Gals,

I will be there again – This year it is May 16 – 18 in Carlisle PA

I don’t want to be the only MG TD there! Anybody else want to show up and have a great time? Show your car, get some parts, drive the local roads and just spend some time w/ like minded people.

I will be staying at the same place as the speedster group meets, but will be in my TD. I am planning on driving up on Thursday or Friday and leaving on Sunday AM.

Anybody else going to make it this year? Please let me know if you can make it and we will plan some cruses etc.

Dale

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hey Dale,

I will be there! I’ll arrive some time Friday and I am staying with the speedster group also.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Paul,

Glad your going to make it! Are you driving the TD this year or are you now into speedsters? I was hoping to scare up a bunch of TD’s and do a few things of our own this year. Being the only TD w/ a bunch of speedsters was fun, but I think they got a little tired of me hanging around. I may have to be a right seater w/ them this year on the dinner drives if no one else shows up w/ TD’s.

Looking forward to seeing you there – anybody else in that NJ club of yours whose arm you can twist?

Dale

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hey Dale,

The TD.

I’m pretty sure Al Merklin and Max Zimmer will be there. not sure about any of the other NJRC guys.

Paul

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

ANYBODY ELSE COMING?

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Dale…are you driving up from VA?

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Yes

Thats the plan right now or I may head out west and catch a group of speedsters from the south and go up w/ them on the Thursday before. I do have the option to tow as well. A friend maybe going as well and he might follow in my tow car as a backup. Lots of options at this point. You have something in mind?

Dale

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

All right guys and Gals

Anybody else coming besides Paul and myself?

Let us all know

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Dale & Paul…just wanted to wish you guys a good time in Carlisle this weekend. Hopefully the weather will hold out for you.

If you want to catch a good Friday night show, go to the Williams Grove Speedway and watch some of the country’s fastest Winged Sprint Cars. These guys used to clean the clock of some of the World of Outlaws when their show came there twice a year.

It’s a 25 minute ride from the hotel you are staying at on Rt. 11.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Look like it’s “Carlisle as usual” again this year. I won’t say the “R” word, but the weather radar is dark green and the weekend forecast says it’ll stay that way.

When the NJRC used to make this a yearly club attended “event”, it was wet every year but 1 of the 8 years in a row that I attended. In fact, it had been wet every year but the first year for over 15 years!

There was a movement to get the date switched to the Fall, when the weather in that area is normally dry, but it fell on deaf ears.

Hope you guys are dry and warm!

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

OK Dale and Paul…we need to hear the soggy saga of Carlisle 2008…post us the poop on your weekend!

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Dale and I added a touch of British elegance to the Speedster gathering.

My Friday drive was rain for 175 miles and took almost an hour longer than my usual. But…my Classic Roadsters Duchess kept me warm and dry the entire trip. Even the trunk was dry. It’s just not as much fun driving around with the top up and curtains but being warm and dry helped.

By the way, that Duchess turned 25 this spring. I built the car in 1982, but finished it in December. So I did not register it until Spring 1983.

Saturday was not bad. Sunny and about 60 in the morning, clouds gathered during the afternoon and the wind picked up. But the rain held off until during dinner. Show field was full, Lots of Saabs, Volvos and Audis. All of those clubs get really excellent support and attendance from their membership. About 25 Speedsters, a dozen or so Cobras, a half dozen beautiful dune buggies…really nicely done.

And of course, two red MG TD replicas.

Chatted with a few people that were interested in TD kits and directed all to the tdreplica.com site.

Flea market was the usual.

The Speedster guys are starting to creep into the very low end of the Cobra market. I know some of these guys have $30 grand and more in their Speedsters. That just seems unbelievable to me for a VW based kit. Not today’s Cobra territory, but you used to be able to put a decent Cobra on the street for $30 to $40 g. Now that’s Speedster money?

The Speedster on-line group dinner was at a nice Italian place, “Rillos”, 60 Pine Street in Carlisle. Sixty-one people! We had a six entree buffet. Food was excellent. I recommend it if you are in Carlisle for a show.

I did not go back to the show on Sunday. I was having brake problems and wanted an early start in case I had trouble getting home. An early start also helped me avoid the rain. I left the top up just in case, but no curtains for the drive home. Some light rain for the first 30 miles or so, then a clear run all the way home.

Now I have to figure out what’s wrong with the car. The brake pedal is firm, but I just don’t have a lot of stopping power. Feels like the fronts are doing all the work. And when I release the pedal, it feels like the brakes release slowly, the pads don’t immediately pull back from the drums. And there is a noise from the front left when I apply the brakes at relatively low speeds. I’m not so good at brake work. So it may end up with a mechanic.

Paul Mossberg

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

I had a good time as well, but the weather was rough – only drive we had was on Thursday night to the Caddy Shack before Paul got there.

I was directed to the back of the bus so to speak as they did not want the TD in the Speedster pictures as we drove to dinner – I do have a drive video of that if I can figure how to edit and post.

It was fun even w/ the weather and hope more make it next year.

We towed the car, but still it got quite wet inside – still need to figure where all the water came from and fix. I don’t drive in wet weather, but could not be helped this time.

Dale

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Glad you guys had a good time…even if it was enduring the Speedster snobs. Hey…those cars are VW’s…not Porsches!!!

Even real TD’s (and every other British sports car) leaked like sieves, so I guess our TD’s are special if they don’t leak.

I think the show was 17 or 18 years old the last time I attended and it had rained every year except 2. The show vendors and clubs, including the New Jersey Replicar Club, petitioned Carlisle Productions to switch to a Fall date, but that never happened. The kit car companies have a huge show at Knots Berry Farm in CA about 2 weeks previous to Carlisle and they were supporting a date revision too. I believe the kit car magazines even posted editorials about it too. All to no avail though.

I got tired of the rapacious local motels and eateries. A non-show weekend $50 room became a show weekend $150 room. I guess that’s the main income for these people, so they take adavantage of it…literally! To add to the congestion, Dickinson College graduates the same weekend.

Glad you guys got to meet up though.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Now now Mark. There have been some sunny weekends over the years. But you’re right, more often than not it’s been rainy, cold or both.

The hotel cost is pure supply and demand. But the Ramada Limited rate wasn’t that bad this year. The group rate with Speedsters-Online was $119. Paying about the same at HoJo’s for the Mopar show in July.

Enjoy the long weekend! Shake a veteran’s hand and say thank you!

Paul Mossberg

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

OK Paul…I guess I was just a little harsh!

I need to get in touch with the kit car magazines. I am still getting calls about NJRC. Dave never contacted them to replace my name with his. Now the club is sadly gone.

I answer all the calls to keep whomever it is interested in the hobby and offer any little bit of help I can. I guess it all depends on what type of car they have too. The MGTD guys get directed right here. The Speedster guys I send to Rocky C. The Cobra guys to Dave B., etc.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.