66 degrees!

Home Forums General Discussion 66 degrees!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Took Bridget to work today, because it was 55 degrees when I got out of the shower, with a high heading toward the mid 60s and very little chance of rain.

The wipers are done, mostly. Needs another little bolt through the windshield frame to keep the motor from twisting, and needs the wiring to be cleaned up. I even got a length of grey wire loom for that stock-from-Abingdon look.

Took B on a reporting trip downtown and to some east side neighborhoods, knocking on doors. No luck with the reporting but, still: Mid 60s and sunny, in late February, and I was not in the office.

More people shouting and honking at me today than the last three or four outings combined. Probably ’cause it’s months since cars been out like that.

Ran her home in traffic after dark and it was still warm enough that I didn’t need gloves. Do have to do something about those headlights though. Mighty dim. Man, were all headlights just like that back in the day? How the heck did we see?

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Ed,  I’ve been wondering if it’s the headlights or my aging eyes.  No matter, I need more lumens also.  How ’bout figger’in it out and letting me know what you did?  I’m pretty wrapped up in getting my engine back together now. 

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

They were all like that

My Duchess and my 1965 Plymouth light up the road with the same intensity, or lack thereof!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Def. project before the spring driving season really begins. I’m thinking I’ll re-do/add some grounding straps, add a relay system and then, if they’re still looking like a child’s flashlight that’s been left on all night, go with new halogens.

Up ’till now I’ve not spent much time in her after dark, but I really think it’s necessary, since one never knows what’s going to happen on a given day.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Roger that on grounding straps and (at least with MiGi) increased wire size for the hot leads.  Either Daytona was trying to scrimp on copper or the builder was.  Almost every hot wire is on the verge of being undersized. 

Frank
    Participant

@frankied

It’s was in the 80’s and sunny here the past two days and Roxie would have been a blast to drive to work Unhappy with that kinda weather.

Only a hight of 60 today, just in time for the weekend.  I guess I need to get out there and get the Thing tuned up so I can drive it before the summer heat gets here making it too hot to drive anything without A/C.

As far as lights, I’ve found that a nice set of driving lights do the trick. I don’t know that a sealed beam headlight can ever be as good as those on our modern cars.
    Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Percy’s headlamps are OK. My problem with driving at night is that my gauges are too dim to see. Unhappy

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

I can’t see my guages at night and my headlights seem dim.  I’m told that I need to check the ground for them.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

As for the instrument lights being dim have you checked the light switch resistance? Remember that you can dim or brighten the instrument lights by turning the switch CW or CCW. At least on my TD switch you can. Anyway, could be the resistance is high and causing the lights to be dim.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

The tips on good grounds and proper wire gauge are good ones.

But there is also some truth behind Ed’s “how did we see in those days?” comment.

I don’t have grounding or wire gauge issues in either the Duchess or my old Plymouth. But the truth is good old sealed beams may be old, but they certainly are not good. They pale in comparison (literally and metaphorically) to today’s halogen lights. And are not even in the same game as today’s HID lights.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

It’s not really hard to see with the old lights. It’s just hard to see with the old lights when everyone else has these super-bright interrogation Kliegs shining out like supernovaes on the road. Our eyes can’t adjust that well ‘tween ’em, and it means we’re not well-seen either.

I was thinking about this as I approached a person in an SUV who was fixing to make a U-turn into my 60-mph lane. He’s looking up the road at oncoming traffic, and to him Bridget, with her close-set, comparatively dim headlights, looks to be quite a bit farther away than she is.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

To get this back on topic, it is 78F righ now in Phoenix, and tomorrow’s forcast is 81, sunny and no precipitation.  Time for some top down fun in the sun.  No dim lights needed.

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

It’s 72 deg. in sunny calif. don’t need the top on, don’t need to worry about the lights mine seam to be pretty bright. just need to put the MG covers on the head lights ? 

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Get out there, boys.:-)

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I don’t know. I have a pair of H6024 lamps on mine and I feel

the illumination is just fine. Are yours aligned properly?

Check them on the garage door. See if the heigth and beam

spread matches your other cars. 

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Man I’m so envious of you guys living in the warm areas.  34* and windy here in Ohio.   No rides this week endUnhappy,  guess I shouldn’t complain, so far it’s really been a mild winter.   My head lights work great  the few times I’ve been out after dark.   I’m not sure if they are anything special, Confused I think just whatever CMC used when it was built. 

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Today we had 8 inches of snow 40 mph winds a good day for south of buffalo wednesday calling for 51 degrees.  

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

‘Bout time you got some snow up there though, eh?

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

I believe this might be it nothing comming in the next 15 days .That will put us the middle of march. Around here we say March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb so after the next 15 days that will put us in the lamb stage

think spring

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I’m worried it’ll be rainy & cold all summer. It’s gonne either be
    that or drought and 110 degrees every day. Guess we’ll find out.

Meantime, contemplating taking her again tomorrow. Forecast here is 64 and sunny.

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Took Scarlett out today. 1st ride in 2012. It is in the low 60s here in the Ozarks with lots of sunshine. She sure was glad to get  that winter dust blown off. I sure hope all the other members here get a chance for a ride even if it is a short one.

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

46* sunny and warm enough for me.Big smile  Took her out for a short ride, only ’bout 1/2 hour but loved it.  First outing for 2012 too.  Hot a few Wacko looks but who cares.  She purred like a kitten!

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Edsnova,

Your car looks beautiful .I’ve been cleaning and painting my engine today getting ready
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Took the car to work today. 56 degrees in SE PA.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

We got out this afternoon on Oak Island NC – mid 60’s ,sunny …Perfect day

Mah girls  love it !

jebarry2012-02-28 18:38:05

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.