A picture, finally

Home Forums General Discussion A picture, finally

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Hopefully, I’ve learned how to resize my original photo, but just in case this doesn’t work, I’m trying to post an image that made it into the 2012 calendar.  This would be my Fiberfab with the Chevy 283 engine, bored out to .060 and a few other features.

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

mark,

Sweet !!!!!

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Love the car and man those wheels! Way cool. Looks like traditional TD wheels. The MG emblem on the hubcaps and a TDReplica.com badge up front and your transformation will be complete! 

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Yeah, what hubcaps are those? I’m thinking those Nissan 4 bolt wheels will be good on any of the front engine cars–though a little too wide for us V-dubbers.

They’re very junkyard-findable. But I’d not seen those hub caps.

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

Lets pop that hood and see that 283.

Are the side panels cut out to fit the engine?

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

When I first saw this car for sale, I thought it needs side panels, and I’m still leaning that way.  The side visible to us in that photo doesn not seem to be blocked by any engine part.

However, on the drivers, side, the oil dip stick and some tubing (maybe brake line) stick out just past the wall line, so I’m not sure how to fit a panel around that.

For now, I’ll enjoy the “hot rod” look this monster of an engine gives me.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Oh, for other photos, I’ll gladly post them, when it stops raining around here.  I least I don’t have to shovel snow…

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I had considered a V-8 swap some years ago and determined that I would have to cut open the front of the side panels. I see that the front of your panels are intact. I’d love to see more photos.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Neil J Flaherty
    Participant

@profile57

interested in the wheels,  Do you know what the source is?

Thanks

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Sorry, I don’t know. I’ll try to take a close look at them to see if there is any information stamped on them.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Correct me if I’m wrong, MGLondon, but I think I pulled one just like it from a late ’90s Nissan Altima last year. It’s 15 by 6 inches with a 4 x 114.3mm bolt pattern. AKA 4 x 4.5 inches, which is the same, I believe, as the MGA and MGB. (Also the Corvair, four-bolt Chevy Nova, early Mustang, etc. etc.)

See Nissan fitment guide here.

See universal guide here.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

I noticed “Nissan” on one of them last weekend.  I’ll try to get a better look on Saturday morning.  It’s too dark by the time I get home this time of year.

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Will a regular MG TD hub cab from Moss fit on a  V W bug wheel?

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Sorta kinda. You have to put studs in the wheel, and the MG cap sits on top of the ridge that the VW cap fits over, leaving the four “ears” on the wheel exposed. Looks sort of funky, but it’s been done.

I don’t think it looks better than the plain VW cap with the MG emblems.

edsnova40918.8257407407

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

John, The short answer is no. I saw somewhere that you can weld bolts to the VW wheels which if positioned correctly,will hold the MG hubcap in place. The center part of the VW wheel will still cause the hubcap to stick out farther than it does on the MG wheel as the cap sits on top of the bumps on the VW wheel instead of fitting over them. There is a company called Proto Research in Canada,Ibelieve, that sells completed TD replicas and they use this method.You can google their website and see for your self.

I’ve been meaning to ask, are those Porsche emblems on your hubcaps?

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Prototype Research is the Canadian firm that still builds a TD replica.

The link in Ed’s post above is to their web site

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Thx paul,larry,and ed. I have porche medallion on my hub caps now

and are showing signs of rust(taiwan) appreciate the info help

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Hub cap medallion question. How do the MG medallions (moss motors) attach to the hub cap….does it have a stud?

thxzzz

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

John, You got it right. There is a stud on the medallion that fits thru a hole in the hubcap. The stud has a hole thru it cross ways near the end. A cotter key goes thru the hole and flat washers, possibly plastic or felt ,take up the extra length of the stud to insure a snug fit.

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

thx larry,  thanks so much !!

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

John,

Larry is right about the studs on the medallions. I used Mcmaster carr part# 9716K52 which is a spring type washer that will hold tension on the medallion and keep the rattle out. The medallions from Moss Motors look very nice. It should be an easy change out to put them on your car.

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

MIke

Good one – thanks so much ..I appreciate the help..

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.