Bucket seats in a TD Replica

Home Forums General Discussion Bucket seats in a TD Replica

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

Has anyone bolted a set of MG Midget or AH seats in their TD? Or any other seat other than the traditional bench back with two seat squabs? I have my original seats and they are in good condition. I had to make a lowered seat box to get more leg room. Before I go through the task of cutting down the seat back, I wanted to see if there was a good single seat alternative similar to what was put in the TF  models.

In wine there is truth, in water health.

Gilles Beauvais
    Participant

@wheels

Mine are home made , comfortable and they look good.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

If you’re looking for more room, cutting the seat back for height and moving it back onto the storage area is quite easy. Just mount it where you’re comfortable. Perfect time to add seat heaters.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

There are a few cars with bucket seats. On a VW pan-based car, the tunnel spreads out toward the back and makes it hard to fit a wide seat and impossible to move it further back, but you can lean it.

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have taken a few pictures of what I am thinking about, but I am having problems getting them uploaded to my area so that I can add them to the thread. Anyway, I am still thinking about it. I have thought about moving the seat back to the rear shelf and cutting it down a little because I do like the original look. However, the idea here is to make it drivable and adjustable as well. It’s an adventure.

Gregg Strain
    Participant

@greggs

I had always found my original VW Fiberfab seats uncomfortable. After a few minutes, it felt like sitting on plywood, because I was! I decided to try a conventional VW Type 1 seat bottoms that I found at a swap meet. It took a lot of cutting and grinding to make them fit the narrowed seat pans and a 3 inch high pedestal. I also narrowed the seat back by an inch and half and leaned it back a bit. I ordered new lower seat covers from Sewfine and they made me a matching cover for the seat back and sent enough material for the door panels. Much improved in comfort and looks great. Much easier to get my 230# body in and out, since the seat springs give so much. The only problem I ended up with, the seat was about 2 inches higher and the steering wheel would touch my legs. So I changed the 15” MGMagic wheel to a 13” D shaped one that also a flat dish.  Sometime this spring, I can lower the seat an inch by eliminating the sliders, which I don’t use anyway. Expensive solution, but worth it to me.

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

Thanks Gregg – do you have a picture of the finished product?

Gregg Strain
    Participant

@greggs

I’d like to, but I keep getting a “critical error “ message as you did a few days ago with no reply.

I see you got it figured out, however. The latest instructions I could find did not work for me. I tried to post on an IPad and Windows 10. If I can get it work, I send you what I have.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Gregg Strain.
    Gregg Strain
    Participant

@greggs

Found out that I could change my profile image easily. That’s a view of the VW seat bottoms I installed. Does not show my new steering wheel, however.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Gregg Strain.
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I’ve found that you cannot post photos from an iphone or ipad. Gotta use the desktop or laptop.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

Hi Bill – yeah I am on my laptop but still no joy. I can upload pictures to my media folder but I cannot go to my media folder and display them. I have tried using three different browsers from my laptop. Oh well….

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

A reprint of photo posting instructions provided by the great Ed Ericson:

First you go to your own thing. Upper right corner it should say something like “Howdy, Happy Jack.” Click on that and you get a drop-down menu. At the bottom it says “media.” Hover over that with your curser and you should see another drop-down menu with “albums,” “photos” “videos.” Click on “photos.”

That should bring you to a new page. If you have previously uploaded pictures, you will see some of them. Under “All Photos” near the top left of the page you will see “options” and “upload.”

Click on “upload.”

That opens another drop down box. You can actually drag and drop pictures into this from a folder on your computer screen, or you can navigate to the folder on your computer with the pics. Double click on them and the upload begins. You should see them appear in your photo album.

To get one into a post you have to click on it.

It should open up big. Then RIGHT-click on it, and you should see a box open up on it with options like “copy,” “save image as,” etc. Click on “copy image address.”

Now close the pic and find your way back to the post you want to put this photo in. (I often use two browser windows for this, keeping the “new post” box open in a separate tab or window).

(Hang on, we’re getting close now)</span></span></span>

Above the window where you want to make the picture go, there’s a line of little symbols. The second from the left is like a jagged little mountain with a little moon over it. That’s your “insert pic” button. Click it.

That opens a new box with a prompt that says “Source.” PASTE (control or command V) the “image address” you copied about six steps ago. Then press OK.

The photo should appear now as if by high-tech magic. So simple even a computer science Ph.D. could do it, sometimes, maybe, if he’d had enough Red B

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Worth noting that you can post any photo from the internet–your own or someone else’s–by right clicking it, choosing “copy image address,” and then pasting it here using that two jagged mountains icon, second from right in you icons bar above the text posting window. As in this selection from my Spyder build blog:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.