Chevette Water Pump

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Chevette Water Pump

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ed Ballard
    Participant

@ballard-ed

I have Chevette based FiberFab and am doing a head, ring, etc. job. While in

there I am replacing the water pump. For the life of me I can’t get to the

bottom pump mounting bolts. Following Chilton instructions doesn’t allow

access to the bottom bolts. Can anyone help?Ballard Ed40382.2665509259

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Ed
    I’ll check my Haynes manual when I get home.

Ringo

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Ed, The Factory Chevette manual as well as the Haynes manual say that the crankshaft pulley and also the timing belt must be removed.

Is the pulley what is keeping you from getting to the bolts. Both books indicate that the pump can be removed with the engine in the car after removing  fan and the alternator , AC, and PS belts as well as the timing belt and it’s cover.It looks like  the timing belt cover is in two pieces with one of them being behind the crankshaft pulley.

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Ed,

Checked the Haynes and it’s like Larry said, two piece cover with the bottom bolts of the water pump lookin’ like they’re behind the plate that surrounds the crank snout.

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Ringo, I ‘m glad you checked on this as the pictures and instructions were a little vague to my senior brain. It looks like the factory engineers designed it so it would not be user friendly.

Ed Ballard
    Participant

@ballard-ed

Thanks to all for replies. My GM Service Manual arrived over the weekend

and it has better illustrations, plus I have looked closer. Now I see that the

lower cover is more extensive than I thought. When removed it will give

access to bolt heads. Hope I didn’t inconvenience anyone.

Ed

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Ed , It was no inconvience at all. Now if I have to replace my water pump, I know to allow extra time because of all the extra complications. As is the case quite often on this forum ,one member’s problem gives all of us an opportunity to learn the solution and know just what we may be facing down the road.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.